Arizona baseball takes game one against Nicholls State

Cyrus Norcross
Arizona’s Avery Weems (27) windups for the pitch in Game 3 of UA vs Bryant on Sunday, Feb. 18 at Hi-Corbett Field in Tucson, Ariz.

The Arizona baseball team took a break from their conference schedule and won game one of a three game series, 11-3, against the Nicholls State Colonels on Thursday, March 29 at Hi-Corbett Field. 

Arizona’s offense exploded right off the bat as they scored five runs in the first inning with help of Cameron Cannon who doubled to left field to bring in Cal Stevenson. Arizona’s catcher Cesar Salazar was able to continue the momentum and hit a single to left extending a 22-game on-base streak and leading the team with a .389 batting average. 

“He [Salazar] is a hall of fame person,” Arizona head coach Jay Johnson said. “He does whatever you need him to do for the team to be successful. He has the work ethic and has made himself into a very good player.”

RELATED: Like father, like son 

Junior left-handed pitcher Avery Weems started on the mound for Arizona, but gave up two runs in the top of the third leaving Nicholls only facing a three-run deficit. Johnson called to the bullpen for senior left-handed pitcher Robby Medel who threw 4.2 innings before Arizona reached back into the bullpen. 

In the bottom of the fourth Arizona was able to grab ahold of another run with a triple by Salazar to bring in Cannon, but the Colonels held off the ‘Cats from crossing the plate once more tagging Salazar out at home to leave the score, 6-2. 

“I think scoring early is great,” Johnson said. “If you look across college baseball and major leauge baseball there is a trend with whoever scores first the winning percentage probably goes up, so it’s great to see and something I hope will continue.”

The Colonels were able to cut the deficit in half due to an error made by Arizona left fielder Ryan Haug, but the Wildcats responded with a double down left field by freshman Jacob Blas to bring in sophomore Matt Fraizer. 

RELATED: Robby Medel shows confidence in expanding role     

Arizona racked up two more in the seventh and two more in eighth not allowing Nicholls to make it to home for the remainder of the game leaving the score, 11-3. 

Arizona will be back at Hi-Corbett for the second game of the series against the Colonels Friday, March 30 at 6 p.m. The Wildcats will be bringing a little of the past to the field during the game as they host Decades Day. 

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter