Police Beat: March 25

Wrong stall, buddy

A University of Arizona Police Department officer arrived at the UA Main Library on Sunday at 1:22 p.m. after someone reported a man had locked himself in a stall in the women’s bathroom.

By the time the officer got to the library, another officer reported that the man had run from the area and was stopped at 540 N. Vine St.

When the officer started to talk with the man he could smell alcohol on his breath.

The man told the officer that he hid in the bathroom because he was scared. He said he was drinking beer earlier in the day and did not want to get in trouble.

A records check of the man showed he had warrants from Tucson Police Department.

The man was transported to Pima County Jail and booked and charged with minor in possession in body, criminal trespassing and the outstanding warrant.

He just ‘had to pick up his lady’ … and get high

A UAPD officer on patrol Monday at 8:24 p.m. noticed a green van with an expired registration and an exposed back brake light.

The officer stopped the van near the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Broadway Boulevard and identified the driver by an Arizona Identification Card.

The officer could smell marijuana coming from the car as the driver told the officer that he did not have a driver’s license.

A records check showed the man’s license had been suspended since 1998.

While one officer searched the van, the man told another UAPD officer he had smoked a joint 30 minutes before being pulled over and had marijuana in the car.

The man said he bought “”two dime bags of weed from a man in his teens near 22nd Street and Park Avenue, near a school.””

The man also told the officer he knew his license was not valid, but he “”had to pick up his lady.””

While the man was answering questions, the officer searching the van found two bags of marijuana between the driver’s seat and door.

The man was arrested for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. He was cited and released on scene.

The bags of marijuana were put into UAPD property as evidence and sent to the Department of Public Safety for testing. The van was also towed for a 30-day mandatory impound.