6 things to consider as you enter your 20s

A+view+of+a+college+students+planner+on+Feb.+24.+Buying+a+planner+is+a+great+first+step+to+organizing+your+life+as+you+enter+your+20s.+
    Sydney Richardson
    A view of a college student’s planner on Feb. 24. Buying a planner is a great first step to organizing your life as you enter your 20s.

As we leave behind our teenage years — and all the mistakes that came along with them — and enter into the first steps of actual adulthood, it’s time to consider making some changes in our lives to become better versions of ourselves. Here is a list of some things to consider as we enter our 20s:

1. Stop binge drinking during the weekdays

This statement might be devastating for many, but, seriously — it’s not going to cut it in the real world. There is a huge difference between sipping on a a glass of aged Chardonnay after work, and hardcore chugging the bottle — which is unattractive in any setting.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, “four out of five college students drink alcohol” and “about half of college students who drink also consume alcohol through binge drinking.” Enjoy your days of Tequila Tuesday, Wine Wednesday and Thirsty Thursday, because soon it is going to be Tax Tuesdays, Work Wednesdays and Time-out Thursdays. Cheers.

2. Get rid of friends who make you feel bad about yourself

We have all had those friends who give you back-handed compliments, who are selfish or who just overall make you feel inadequate in one way or another. It’s time to reconsider why you still engage in these friendships when they make you feel worse about yourself instead of feeling better. If you have a friend who does this, drop them. They aren’t your real friends — it’s as simple as that.

College is just another chapter in your amazing journey, and life is too short to waste your time on people who don’t appreciate you for you. As Bob Marley once said, “Open your eyes and look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?”

3. Stop “winging it” and get organized

There are some people who have been organized since the first day of college, and then there are those who still do their homework on pizza-stained paper. Here’s a tip: get a planner. It will do you wonders, and mapping out your responsibilities will help you feel more in control when you are overwhelmed. You can buy a planner online at Erin Condren, or even online at Target.

4. Stop comparing yourself to other people

As cheesy as it sounds, if you don’t appreciate and love yourself for who you are, you wont be able to love the people around you. Happiness is found from within. Everyone has rough days, but at the end of the day, it’s important to focus on your own accomplishments — self-confidence is everything, after all. Take a step back, put things into perspective and give yourself a pat on the shoulder, because you haven’t failed at life. This is just the beginning.

5. Stop posting drunk selfies on social media

It’s tacky, its trashy and it doesn’t represent your best self. That is all.

6. Stop being so judgmental of other people

We are who we are, and instead of bringing other people down, embrace and accept the people around you for who they are. No one is perfect, and the people you meet along the way might even surprise you.

Follow Hannah Djavadi on Twitter.