Luau lures students

Alison Hom, a retailing and consumer science sophomore, right, and Alannah Mcnally, a pre-business junior, get ready to pass out flyers announcing their event on Wednesday night, a project for their EDL 281 class, yesterday morning outside of Old Main.

If you’re looking for something to do on the eve of “”dead day,”” you may want to head on over to the UA Student Recreation Center for some good clean fun. Today from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Rec Center pool, students from the Event Planning and Leadership class will host the “”Late Night Luau,”” an event which aims to offer students one stress- and alcohol-free night before squaring off against finals.

“”This year, we decided the best way to get more students involved and be a little more festive is to change location from the Cellar (Bistro Restaurant),”” said Ryan Miller, who is one of 10 students planning the event. “”I have no doubt that it’s going to be better than ones in the past. We’re kind of setting the bar a little higher than it has been.””

Attendees are encouraged to dress in Hawaiian garb to accompany the flickering Tiki torches and the leis that will be handed out. Students can also expect free food, a professional disc jockey, and various games including a limbo contest, water volleyball and basketball. Prizes such as Starbucks gift cards will also be handed out.

The event, formerly called “”Up Late”” was held in the Cellar Bistro at the Student Union Memorial Center, but it usually didn’t attract more than 100 or 200 students. Miller said he hopes that the Luau will lure in between 200 and 300 students.

The Event Planning and Leadership class, held every spring, teaches students the basics of event planning, including marketing, managing budgets and working together as a team.

The students were split up into two groups mid-semester to work on planning two different events. One group worked with ASUA to create the April 22 UA Earth Day celebration held on University Boulevard, while Miller’s group is responsible for coordinating the Luau.

“”I think (the students) have been great. Part of it is … I tell them, ‘you have to have an event on this day,’ and as far as the event they are allowed to come up with a theme and whatnot,”” said Peter Pereira, ASUA senior coordinator of campus activities who teaches the class. “”Really, they deserve all the credit.””

UA aerospace engineering sophomore Ondrej Dvorak plans on attending the Luau and said that the promise of free food, music and fun would attract a lot of students but the Luau has even more to offer.

“”I think it’s going to be beneficial to the UA because people are actually going to use ‘dead day eve’ to meet new people, instead of getting drunk. (Students) are not going to be hung over for Thursday and they’re actually going to be able to get some quality studying done,”” Dvorak said.

The class got the money to back their events by putting together fund raisers and applying for the UA Corporate Partners Grant, which offers recognized student organizations, clubs and associations the opportunity to apply for funds and/or products such as food, to support activities that benefit the campus community.

For Miller, overcoming all the challenges of event planning and seeing all the work his group has done come to fruition is the biggest reward.

“”It’s cool how it can all build up into one big event like it is with just a few people,”” he said.