Oregon State runs over Arizona football on Homecoming Weekend

Amy Bailey
Arizona quarterback Grant Gunnell (17) runs down the field while being defended by Oregon State University’s Doug Taumoelau (42) during the Arizona-Oregon State game on November 2, 2019, in Tucson. Arizona lost to Oregon State 38-56.

Arizona football’s defense was no match for Jake Luton and Oregon State as the Beavers blew out Arizona 38-56 on Homecoming Weekend at Arizona Stadium.

Even after Arizona fired their defensive coordinator earlier this week, the defense still gave up 56 points and 572 yards. OSU was able to do whatever they wanted on the offensive side of the ball, and they were actually able to finish off drives with points, something Arizona wasn’t able to do. The Wildcats missed out on two two-point conversions, had a missed field goal and a missed PAT.

The defense wasn’t the only part of the team having difficulties, as the offense was struggling just as much early on. Head Coach Kevin Sumlin continued to use the two-quarterback system and started off the game with Khalil Tate. On the first two drives, Tate was only able to get Arizona in a position for two field goals. Then with Arizona down 14-6, Sumlin went to true freshman Grant Gunnell, who was able to get Arizona down the field twice and score its first two touchdowns of the game. At halftime, the Wildcats were down by a score of 19-35.

“Communication was obviously an issue in the secondary with guys that open,” said Sumlin.

The second half was more of the same when Tate was in the game, but when Gunnell came in, there was an obvious difference. Gunnell was able to lead the offense down the field twice in a row and score touchdowns. Arizona was down 11 when the most important drive of the game occurred.

OSU punted the ball and downed it at the one yard line. Gunnell had to lead Arizona down the entire field to put themselves in position to make it a one-score game and move momentum squarely on Arizona’s shoulders. Gunnell was able to get into field goal range but the offense sputtered a bit and Arizona had a fourth and six. 

“We drive down the field and I called a timeout to see if we would kick a field goal, and if we make it, it becomes a one-score game … but we missed the field goal and it was deflating,” Sumlin said.

OSU drove right down the field and scored seven more points to finish off Arizona. The Wildcats will have a bye week this week then will have to face the Oregon Ducks in Eugene, Ore. Arizona will then take on Utah back at home before traveling to Tempe to play ASU in the final game of the regular season.

Arizona’s next game is two weeks away against Oregon on the road. A time has not been set for the game yet.

Follow Jack Cooper on Twitter