Arizona dominates Fall Classic

Gordon Bates  / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Wildcat softball team hosted the Pima Community College Aztecs in the second game of the Fall Classic Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010, at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. Arizona won 3-1.
Mike Christy
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Wildcat softball team hosted the Pima Community College Aztecs in the second game of the Fall Classic Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010, at Hillenbrand Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. Arizona won 3-1.

Arizona softball defeated Pima Community College 3-1 last night to cap off an undefeated record in the Arizona Fall Classic tournament at Hillenbrand Stadium.

The tournament consisted of 15 exhibition games, and Arizona used its five games to get better and, above all, make a statement. Despite winning the tournament, head coach Mike Candrea remains modest and makes certain his team does as well.

“”Obviously if you go 3-3 in this tournament you’re in for a long year,”” Candrea said. “”I always tell our team by winning this tournament, you know you’re a good junior college team.””  

Overall, the competition may have been lackluster, but Pima definitely put up a fight. “”Pima’s pitcher did a very nice job tonight and so that was a really good game for us. I wish we could have had more of those,”” Candrea said.

In last night’s game, it was evident arms and shoulders were tired. The game started slowly with Pima scoring the first run of the night in the second inning.

However, Arizona didn’t let it savor the lead for long. In the third, senior catcher Stacie Chambers blasted a double to deep center field, driving in Lauren Schutzler and Brigette Del Ponte to score two runs. Chambers also hit two of the team’s six homeruns this weekend.

Right after, Lini Koria tripled down the right field line, sending Chambers to home and extending the lead to two. Arizona would hang onto the lead to end the game.

Like Candrea, Chambers focused on the bigger picture. “”It’s our first games and it’s kind of good getting used to playing with each other,”” Chambers said. “”We have a lot of work to do still, but overall, we didn’t do too bad. I need to prepare myself a little more in the on-deck circle.””

In regards to pitching, sophomore Kenzie Fowler and freshman Shelby Babcock rotated throughout the course of the tournament. For Fowler, it was the most she’s played since last season.

“”Shelby showed some moments that looked really good and then some moments where we need some growth,”” Candrea said. “”It was good to see Kenzie (Fowler) back on the mound and she looks good.””

Fowler’s new pitching style is proving to be effective as she entered double digit strikeouts on the weekend. She also had a three-run homerun against New Mexico.

“”I still have a couple of hitches I’m working on,”” Fowler said. “”Pitches are a lot better than they were. I mean I’m making progress each week and that’s all I can ask for.””  

Rewinding back to Friday, Arizona started off their tournament by defeating Arizona Western College in five innings 14-2. On Saturday, Arizona played their first double-header of the weekend, dominating New Mexico, 11-0 also in five and then Central Arizona College 4-2.

Yesterday, Arizona closed out the tournament with another double-header. Arizona first beat Cypress College, 10-0 in five, and then Pima to cap off the evening.

The Wildcats’ have another exhibition game against Pima this Wednesday before finishing off the preseason with the Arizona Alumni game on Friday. Both games will take place at Hillenbrand Stadium.