Soccer hopes to bounce back

Colin Darland
Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Arizona soccer head coach Dan Tobias heard how much faster Rutgers University is compared to his team after Sunday’s 3-0 shutout to the Scarlett Knights, but after watching film this week, he insisted that was not the case.

“”They were in better position, on their toes, and they were anticipating rather than reacting,”” Tobias said. “”We usually do those things, we usually do, but we didn’t on Sunday.””

Arizona (2-4-1) must forget about its failures against Rutgers and focus on another talented team in No. 18 Brigham Young University, whom they will host on Saturday at Mulcahy stadium at 7 p.m.

The Cougars have had great success against the Wildcats as they lead the all-time series 6-3. Last year, Arizona suffered at 1-0 loss at the hands of BYU on the road in Provo, Utah.

The game being in Tucson may make a slight difference considering that BYU is 11-1-1 in their last 13 games in Provo.

“”We know from playing them last year that they’re going to come out extremely aggressive on us, as they always have,”” said sophomore Renae Cuellar. “”At the same time, it’s a good thing we’re not playing at BYU because it makes a difference.””

After struggling with a talented team such as Rutgers, the Wildcats feel that the game can help them know what to expect from other talented teams down the line.

“”As a team, Rutgers surprised us. They came out faster and stronger, so that put us on our toes to know that there is better competition out there,”” said Cuellar.

After a week of working on playing quicker and under pressure, Tobias is confident that his team has prepared well enough to be ready to bounce back Saturday night.

“”We’re still a young group, but I think we have the right mentality,”” he said. “”A lot of the concerns that the team had have been eliminated, and we’ve had a week of good preparation to be ready for the game.””