Police Beat: October 11

Drinking classy

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students office for underage drinking on Friday at 1:30 a.m., after another student called the University of Arizona Police Department and reported a student throwing up on the eighth floor of a residence hall.

When officers arrived, the Tucson Fire Department was already at the student’s dorm room evaluating her. She was having trouble standing up correctly and balancing.

While TFD evaluated the student, UAPD officers spoke to her friend.

He said she had gone out that night but had came back to hang out with him and some of his friends in a different dorm room in the residence hall.

He said she seemed disoriented and at one point had fallen asleep on one of their beds. After she had been sleeping for awhile, she got up, walked quickly to the bathroom and began to throw up.

After she had been vomiting for a while, she yelled to one of her friends and asked them to call 911.

TFD officials said the student would not need to be taken to a hospital and could stay in her dorm room for the night with under her roommate’s supervision.

When officers spoke to the student, she said she had been drinking champagne though she didn’t know where.

She was diverted to the Dean of Students for underage drinking.

Canned for cans

UAPD officers issued an exclusionary order to a non-UA affiliated man on Friday at 8 a.m.

A police aide first reported the man to UAPD after observing the man behind the Optical Science building picking up cans in the parking lot.

When a UAPD officer questioned the man, the officer learned the man had just gotten out of jail two weeks before and was collecting cans to recycle and pay for an Arizona identification card. He also carried a small backpack.

UAPD records showed that the man had been arrested before by UAPD for throwing rocks at a vending machine on campus to free any food items that may be loose. The man’s record also showed he had an arrest for assault by the Tucson Police Department, grand theft auto, and was an admitted heroine user.

The man said he believed that he had an exclusionary order at that time, but UAPD records showed that he did not.

When the officer searched the man’s backpack, a small knife and drug paraphernalia was found. The man said he was clean now and is no longer “strung out.”

The man was given a six month exclusionary order and told that he could be arrested if found on campus while the order is valid.

Double the speed

On Sept. 3, at 11:40 a.m., a non-UA affiliated man was arrested for excessive speeding near the UA campus.

UAPD officers were monitoring traffic when they saw a car speeding down the middle lane. The officer clocked the car doing 68 miles per hour in a 35 MPH zone.

The officer pulled over the speeding vehicle and the man was arrested, cited, and released for criminal speeding.