“Fox News may be biased, but Obama should let it be”

The battle of the titans, ladies and gentlemen: the most influential man in the world versus one of the most influential news group in the world, and both sides make legitimate claims against the other.

We can assume Fox News is the most influential, above other, larger networks, because it is the only network that consistently pushes a more right-leaning point of view. This is not debatable; it is common knowledge that Fox News in some capacity pushes the Republican agenda.

However, Fox News is not predicated on being objective. It makes the big bucks with colorful commentators like Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity, who captivate audiences by screeching about the shortcomings of everybody in politics.

The moment we stop questioning those in power, is the moment we lose control of this country to our government. Nobody keeps government more honest than Fox News, and the network is to be commended for it.

The collective sentiment among the elephants, a sentiment that Fox drives home at every opportunity, is that President Obama is a one-trick pony, delivering scintillating speeches that incite optimism, but failing to follow up with any progress.

This point does not sit well with the president. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Obama described Fox News as, “”A point of view that I disagree with. It’s a point of view that I think is ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive in the world.””

Fox News, of course, fired back into what has become a heated exchange between Fox and the White House, with a quip that the president should be spending his time on more “”presidential”” things, rather than ripping news corporations. Point well taken, but if you were Obama you would be hard pressed not to let the constant barrage of negativity get to you.

The White House has recently dubbed Fox News, “”opinion journalism masquerading as news,”” and who could logically argue with that? However, is Fox News really destructive to America?

A lot of television can be seen as destructive to America, or corruptive to the collective psyche of Americans, including “”Jersey Shore”” or “”Family Guy,”” and certainly Fox News is in this category, but who is complaining? Those in power must be ready to be bashed and mashed into public scrutiny; that comes with the job. Obama is better served just ignoring Fox rather than punching back, which is sure to just draw more ire from the public.

Rather, the president should go about his business and not worry about what the far right has to say; after all, Fox News needs to be taken at face value, which is ultimately entertainment. Forget news if you’re watching Fox. It makes more money employing talking heads that bash on everybody. Is Fox destructive to America? Sure, but the caveat is that if Fox News wants to be biased, we all need to see it for what it is — rhetorical hyperbole that can’t be taken seriously. Obama vs. Fox News; advantage … no one.

— Brett Haupt is a journalism junior. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.