Police Beat: Oct. 6

Drinking in residence halls leads to students being booked into Pima County Jail

Two students were arrested for minor in possession of alcohol on Sunday, at 1:15 a.m. The two students — a man and a woman — were booked into Pima County Jail after the incident.

About a half hour after midnight, a University of Arizona Police Department officer received a reference of two intoxicated individuals who were refusing to comply with the resident assistants of their dorms.

Upon arriving, the officer met with one of the resident assistants, who took him to the fourth floor of the residence hall where the officer was brought to a room occupied by at least six people. Every one in the room exited quickly, but the resident assistant told the officer that there was one person missing.

The resident assistant granted the officer permission to enter the room, inside of which he found a woman in the back corner. The officer had her exit the room and after looking around, found no other individuals. All of the people who were present denied having consumed alcohol.

The officer performed an alcohol test on all of the students and believed two of them were intoxicated. The resident assistant confirmed the two who had given him a hard time.

While the officer was talking to one of the individuals, he could smell alcohol on her breath. She also had watery and bloodshot eyes. The woman’s eyes twitched during an eye test.

The woman refused to take a breath test and said she knew her rights. She also told the officer that she had not consumed any alcohol. While talking to the other man, who was giving the resident assistants trouble, the officer also smelled an odor of intoxicants on his breath. He also had difficulty with the eye test and refused a breath test, but continued to say he had not consumed alcohol.

The two individuals were placed under arrest and booked into Pima County Jail. A code of conduct violation was forwarded to the dean of students’ office.

Broken windows, splattered paint at Delta Tau Delta

Criminal damages occurred at Delta Tau Delta fraternity on Sunday. A window was broken with a chair, and later that morning, blue paint was thrown at the fraternity’s door and a hole was punched through a wall.

At 2:40 a.m., a UAPD officer was dispatched to Delta Tau Delta after receiving reference of a chair being thrown into a window and causing it to shatter. Upon arriving, the officer spoke with Wild West security and the reporting party. The reporting party, a man, showed the officer the broken window.

The UAPD officer asked the president of the fraternity if he wanted to report the damage, to which he stated “”No.”” The officer informed the reporting party that he could not be a victim in this incident because he is not affiliated with the fraternity house. The reporting party’s boss had advised him that he should report the damage and get a case number from UAPD for documentation.

While the criminal damage had occurred at Delta Tau Delta, the reporting party had gone to the restroom, and it was then that he heard that there was a group of 15 people in the courtyard who could have done the damage. However he did not witness anything.

The president of the fraternity gave the officer the phone number of the owner of the house. The officer left a message on his phone to inform him of what had happened and to find out whether or not he wanted to be involved in the judicial process if anybody was apprehended for the damage.

The officer was called back to the same fraternity at 5:27 a.m. on reference of more damage to the same room that had the broken window. This time, it was completely separate damage from the first incident. Blue paint was thrown on the door and floor and a foot-long hole was punched into the wall. A Corona beer bottle was shoved inside the hole. Also, the plastic cover of a fire pull station was damaged and knocked off the wall.

The previous reporting party who worked for Wild West Security said that he was standing outside doing rounds every 30 minutes when he heard a noise and went up to the hallway. It was then that he saw the damage but no one was around. This is when he called UAPD, who documented the damage.

More criminal damage at UA

On an unknown date at an unknown time, someone vandalized a blue sign at the UA Student Recreation Center. UA risk management received a victim’s rights form.

At 7:39 a.m. on Sunday, a UAPD officer noticed a blue sign at the UA student recreation center had been vandalized. The sign read “”Outdoor Adventures,”” and was on the south side of the building near the temporary entrance. Whoever did this used a stencil to spray paint three red figures resembling people at the bottom of the sign.

Found phone

A phone was found at the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Sunday at 8:09 p.m. and was turned into UAPD. The black Blackberry phone was turned into UAPD possession and was placed into property and evidence as found property.

It had at first been turned into the front desk. The phone had a green casing and it is unknown how long the phone was missing or who it belongs to.