Arizona women’s golf travels to Stanford Intercollegiate Tournament

Midway through its preseason schedule, the Arizona women’s golf team is off to a perfect start. The Wildcats will try to continue that streak as they travel to Palo Alto, Calif., on Friday for the Stanford Intercollegiate tournament.

“So far I’ve been very pleased with my team,” head coach Laura Ianello said. “They’re very young, so there’s lots of room to grow and improve, but these two wins are great for their confidence.”

The tournament will feature most of the Pac-12 schools along with other nationally ranked schools.

“We have a lot of confidence going into Stanford,” Ianello said. “We’ve had two weeks to practice for Stanford and we know it’s going to be a loaded field but we of course are looking for a victory.”

One of the Wildcats performing well so far is sophomore Andrea Vilarasau, who is coming off a ninth place finish at the Windy City Collegiate Classic. Vilarasau is very happy with the way she and the Wildcats have started the 2012-2013 season. She credits the rest of the women on the team with pushing her to play better and says they are more comfortable when she’s on course.

Vilarasau will be in the starting lineup for the Wildcats, and believes if Arizona does its best, it should be one of the strongest teams in the tournament.

“Our mindset for Stanford is to win,” Vilarasau said. “It’s been our mindset going into every tournament so far. And if not win, at least come in second or third.”