Resource Guide: A rundown of the UA BookStore and Student Union

Alejandro Aguirre

If you are looking for University of Arizona merchandise, new electronics or great food, the UA Bookstore and the Student Union Memorial Center are the perfect places for you. 

According to the bookstore website, their mission is “to encourage academic excellence and build campus and community relationships through diverse, inclusive, and sustainable opportunities.”

RELATED: A season in the fall remains a mystery for Arizona volleyball

Open Monday to Friday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., the bookstore sells all kind of merchandise such as t-shirts, masks, pants, water bottles and other accessories on the first floor. Off to the right of the main entrance of the bookstore is a Starbucks, which will reopen Aug. 10

Towards the middle of the first floor is a set of stairs that leads to the bottom floor of the bookstore, which houses the school supplies, textbooks and technology section. The bookstore sells all the school supplies students will need for the school year. The bookstore sells many different textbooks for all types of classes on campus. Through the bookstore, students can view their booklist for their classes and compare prices with other retailers. 

Even though the bookstore offers textbooks in-person and online, there are other options. There are online textbooks through VitalSource and VHL which are normally cheaper than the print versions. There are also websites like Amazon and Chegg where you can order print versions of books. 

They also sell electronics like iPads, Apple watches, headphones and laptops. The bookstore provides different student software to help with classes, such as Microsoft Office and Adobe

The bookstore also has literacy events such as Storytime, which is an engaging event for children ages two to five years old. They also host Fusion Camp and Tucson Festival of Books. Lastly, they have a summer reading program called Wildcats Read. 

Directly across from the bookstore is the Student Union Memorial Center, which has many different food options, ballrooms, the honors lounge and a theatre.

Food options on the second level of the student union are Chick-fil-a, Core, IQ Fresh, Pangea, On Deck Deli, Panda Express, Papa Johns Pizza, Sabor and the Arizona Market. The food options on the third level are Mesa Room, located inside the Arizona Room and Cactus Grill.

Neysha Aguilar, marketing and communications manager for the student union, said students should visit the student union website for more information regarding food options. 

“Because of the status of the state of Arizona and the increase in COVID-19 cases, the University of Arizona, including the Arizona Student Unions is still discussing the dining options on campus for Fall 2020,” Aguilar said via email. 

In the basement of the student union you will find the Sonora Room, a meeting space. On level two you will find the Gallagher Theater, along with most of the food options. On the third level you will find Associated Students of the University of Arizona office and interactive classrooms. On the fourth level you will find the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, Transfer Student Center and Vets Student Center. *

The student union also contains multiple shopping areas and services. On the first level is the U.S. Post Office, Wells Fargo Bank, Meals Plan Office, Computer Lab and CatCard and CatCash Offices. 

The second level has the Arizona Primary Eye Care and Optical, Bookstores, FedEx, Office of Student Engagement and Information Desk/Lost and Found. 

Another student center is the Global Center, located at 615 N. Park Ave. The center offers multiple food options such as Core+, Nrich Urban Market Express, Park Avenue Market and the Den.

The Global Center houses the UA Passport Office, UA Study Abroad Store Front, UA Study Abroad Office, Global Travel Services, International Student Services, International Faculty and Scholars, UA Global Administration Office, The Think Tank and OSCR. 

*Editor’s Note: This article previously mentioned spaces within the Student Union that have either closed or been renamed; they have been updated. 

Follow Jillian Bartsch on Twitter