Arizona drops their fourth straight against No. 14 UCLA

Jackie Cabrera

Jaelyn Hodge (11) spikes the ball towards Washington State at McKale Center on Oct. 10. The Wildcats went on to loose the game zero sets to three. 

Arizona fell to No. 14 UCLA 3-0, as the Wildcats’ losing streak was extended to four games. Arizona lost their straight sets by scores of 25-17, 28-26 and 25-16. This loss dropped the Wildcats to 11-7 on the year.   

Set 1 – (17-25)

UCLA would go on to win the first set 25-17. Outside hitter Jaelyn Hodge led the Wildcats with five kills and a hitting percentage of .500 during the first set, and defensive specialist  Kamaile Hiapo was able to get the only service ace for them. Arizona was able to hold a small lead for the first few points of the set, but once UCLA took a 6-5 lead, the Wildcats were not able to be back in front. The biggest problem for the Wildcats in this first set was missed opportunities. Arizona could not keep the ball in play as they had seven attack errors and four service errors.

Set 2 – (26-28)

UCLA also went on to take the second set with a score of 28-26. This set was much closer than the first; Arizona had a chance to take the set when they had a 26-25 lead, but a kill by outside hitter Mac May for UCLA tied the game and they would go on to score two unanswered points and win the set. The leader for the Wildcats in the second set was outside hitter Sofia Maldonado Diaz, who had six kills and a service ace all in the second set. Again the Wildcats struggled to keep the ball inbounds on serves as they committed five service errors.

Set 3 – (16-25) 

UCLA was able to complete the three-set sweep of the Wildcats with a 25-16 win in the third set. The Bruins dominated this set after the score was tied at eight. UCLA never let Arizona get close again. The sloppy play continued in this set as they again committed four service errors which prevented Arizona from being able to come back. Hodge again led the Wildcats in kills in the final set with six. 

RELATED: Arizona volleyball defeated by Washington, adds to second straight Pac-12 loss

Arizona’s constant self-inflicted issues continued to hold them back as they committed 22 attack errors and 13 service errors throughout the match. The Wildcats did receive notable individual performances from Hodge as she posted 16 kills with a kill percentage of .471 and Maldonado Diaz who had 11 kills to go along with a service ace. 

The Wildcats will be back in action this Sunday, Oct. 17 against USC.   

Follow CJ Lala on Twitter