Students loathe to seek help

Although the UA Dean of Students Office sent out a widespread message last week offering help to UA students affected by the Southern California wildfires, the office has yet to receive a single response.

The UA was poised to implement resources including information about the fires, the location of family members and questions concerning the use of psychological services, said Carol Thompson, senior vice provost of the dean of students.

“”Since nobody responded, they did not see the need to activate new resources,”” said Johnny Cruz, UA director of media relations.

For Katie Robbins, an undeclared freshman, the recognition that both of her parents’ homes were in danger from the raging fires was coupled with the harsh realization that she was unable to support her family members in person, she wrote in an e-mail.

“”The fires were scary, especially being here and not really knowing what exactly was going on back home,”” Robbins wrote.

Although her mother was evacuated from her home, Robbins’ worries were put to rest when the fire department and a change in wind direction saved her parents’ homes from destruction.

“”I feel really bad for all the people who did actually lose their homes,”” she said. “”It is going to be weird going home and seeing the damage.””

Other students were not so closely affected, but are still feeling the damage created by the fires through others they know.

“”My house wasn’t that close to (the fires), but a friend of mine goes to Pepperdine and lost his whole house,”” said Nick Mayer, an undeclared freshman. “”When you buy a house in that area, there is that danger. They let you know that fires are a problem, but I mean, what are you going to do?””

Despite the lack of responses, the UA is still encouraging students to contact the Dean of Students Office with any concerns associated with the fires, Cruz said.