UA freshman shot outside fraternity house

A UA freshman was shot early Saturday morning outside a fraternity house on campus, according to UAPD officials.

At approximately 1:13 a.m., a vehicle traveling westbound on East First Street fired several gunshots at the Phi Delta Gamma fraternity house, 1801 E. First St. One bullet struck an 18-year-old female student at the UA, whose name is being withheld by officials at her parents’ request.

The victim was standing outside the house with a group of people when the shots were fired. Two other vehicles were damaged in the shooting.

The female was hit in the torso, said University of Arizona Police Department Cmdr. Robert Sommerfeld. She was treated and transported by the Tucson Fire Department to a local hospital.

The suspect’s vehicle was stopped on North Plumer Avenue and East First Street. One suspect, an 18-year-old male who is not affiliated with the university, was taken into custody. The other suspect fled the scene and, despite a search of the area by UAPD, they were unable to locate that suspect.

As of yesterday, the student was in stable condition and recovering, said Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students.

“”What is important to understand is our students who were out and about in the particular area where this even occurred were not part of any irregular activity,”” said Kowalski. “”There is nothing they could have done differently to prevent the incident because it was a random act.””

Kowalski said she did not have any additional information than what was released to the public.

“”I do, however, want to commend the students who helped the student get help,”” Kowalski said. “”On behalf of the university, we wish a speedy recovery of the student in the hospital.””

Students who are members of Fiji and other Greek chapters were instructed not to comment to media.

Although shootings are rare near campus, they have occurred in the past.

In September 2005, a student was shot at Kappa Alpha fraternity house, 901 N. First Ave., by “”unwelcome guests”” during a private event.

In August 2004, a Pima Community College student was shot by a UA freshman at No Anchovies after dispute about seating.