New ASUA board members reviewing budget

New members of the ASUA Appropriations Board have been selected to finish out the semester, effectively filling the vacant spots created when more than half the board resigned two weeks ago.

The Appropriations Board has about $3,000 to allocate to clubs each week for its last three meetings this semester, said club advocate Charles Wollin, a theatre arts sophomore, at last week’s ASUA Senate meeting.

The Appropriations Board lost four of its members because of controversy concerning a bylaw that gave the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate the final say in appropriating funds for clubs on campus. Board members criticized the bylaw for limiting the authority of the board and four resigned.

Immediately following the resignation, Rhonda Tubbs, the interim executive vice president, sent out applications and received eight applicants despite only 48 hours of notification.

The eight applicants then went through an interview process and the top four applicants were chosen.

New members were picked and put to work, going through a “”crash course”” review before the Appropriations Board meeting last week, Tubbs said.

“”They were a little bit shaky, but they did a great job and were able to help 11 clubs,”” Tubbs said.

Even with the sudden resignation of board members and the responsibility of finding new members, current board members said they felt Tubbs did a good job.

“”(Tubbs) handled it perfectly, and the current board is the best Appropriations Board we’ve had and we have a great mix of students that add experience and maturity,”” said Shawn Ingram, an Appropriations Board member and ASUA senator.

Tubbs said she is glad to have a diverse group of students to fill in before the year ends. The new members will bring in a fresh pair of eyes to look at how the board operates, she said.

“”With a new, fresh board they will re-evaluate the club funding process and work on different ways to fund clubs on campus,”” Tubbs said.

Part of the re-evaluation of the Appropriations Board is the reworking of the budget.

“”I think new guidelines are being set up not only for this year, but also next year to make sure the budget is stable and consistent,”” said new member Aaron Ohms, a marketing senior.

Setting precedent and bylaws are two major concerns the board is reviewing.

“”We want to help students fund their clubs, but right now there is no set thing to tell clubs specifically what the Appropriations Board can or can’t fund,”” Tubbs said.

Tubbs said that the board is also re-evaluating the ASUA Club Resource Center and talking with them about funding procedures.

The four new members, Ohms, Joshua Volpert, a biology junior, Tim Hart, a political science senior, and Kumari Fulbright, a first-year law student, will finish out the year and will have to re-apply at the beginning of the new school year should they choose to be on the board again, Tubbs said.