Rowling returns with Beedle the Bard

It’s been a couple of years since the final Harry Potter book was released and J.K. Rowling finally has something new to offer. Sort of.

“”The Tales of Beedle the Bard”” is a collection of five fairy tales, the ones bestowed upon Hermione in “”Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”” It’s akin in popularity to the muggles’ stories by Mother Goose. However, these tales take place in the magical world we all know and love. According to the introduction by Rowling, this book was translated from the ancient runes by Hermione Granger and each story has full commentary by Albus Dumbledore – commentary discovered posthumously. He offers his understanding of each tale and divulges further insight into the wizarding world. He expands impressively on the morals and legends surrounding each one, along with tidbit stories about Hogwarts and a certain full-blooded wizarding family that cries for censorship.

The difference between these stories and the ones we’re used to is they are actually trying to teach you something. Whereas the helpful stories of our childhood (like Cinderella or the Little Mermaid) seem to be setting women up to get the men of their dreams, Rowling’s tales lean more toward pursuing your own luck or teaching you a decent lesson.

And just like the Harry Potter books, usually directed toward children, this book is something all ages will enjoy – at times more Brothers Grimm than Mother Goose. For instance, in “”The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,”” a young warlock uses the Dark Arts to help him abstain from falling in love, and the end is shocking – maybe even too risqué for children. There is no shortage of death and decay throughout, but there are some positive endings thrown in for good measure.

Don’t worry if you’re thinking that Rowling is a sell-out who just wrote this book for more money: all proceeds go to The Children’s High Level Group, a charity founded by Rowling and others to help the millions of children across Europe who live in residential institutions get family-based care. Any Harry Potter lover buying this book will help out a good cause and have another great Rowling read on their shelf.