“On the spot: Shane Pugmire, pre- business freshman”

Are you aware of the whole Daily Wildcat theft thing that happened on Thursday?

No, what happened?

Apparently some people stole about 10,000 copies of the newspaper all across campus. We only print around 15,000, so that’s a lot of our circulation right there. What are your thoughts on that?

I don’t know why somebody would want to steal a bunch of newspapers, that’s kind of ridiculous.

What do you think should be done to whoever did it?

Is it even really a crime to steal a newspaper, though? Because you’re handing them our for free, you don’t really pay for it.

Actually on the inside on page two there’s something in there that reads, “”Unauthorized removal of multiple copies will be considered theft.”” The staff has to get paid and there are ads in there.

Yeah, I guess that’s true. I never thought about that.

It might end up costing the Wildcat around $8,500. How does that change things for you?

Yeah, that’s kind of stupid. It kind of seems like vandalism or something. Something that somebody wants to do just to piss somebody else off, you know? I mean, that’s just kind of stupid.

At first the police thought like you did, but I think they’re getting involved with it now.

That’s good. I wonder if they’ll find out who did it.

Well you don’t happen to know who did it, or do you?

(Laughs) No. I have no idea. And I have no idea who would want to do that. I mean, that’s just stupid.

Do you have any advice for them?

Just to get a life. (Laughs) You know? Come on, just find something better to do than stealing 10,000 newspapers. That’s just so stupid.