Hoops’ Shumpert to transfer

Arizona sophomore DJ Shumpert looks on during a 96-55 victory over Western New Mexico in McKale Center on Nov. 10, 2009. Shumpert announced on Monday that he is seeking a transfer from Arizona.

Sophomore forward DJ Shumpert will transfer from the Arizona men’s basketball program, the team announced Monday.

Shumpert, who made 10 of his 14 career appearances this season, averaged 0.1 points, 0.8 rebounds and 0.2 assists per game in two seasons. The 6-foot-7, 190-pound forward has yet to announce where he will transfer.

“”DJ Shumpert is a fantastic kid and was an exceptional teammate and representative of our basketball program during his two years at Arizona,”” head coach Sean Miller said in a press release. “”Like a lot of young players, he wants to put himself in a position to have a more significant role as a basketball player in his future. We mutually agreed that pursuing that at another program would be best for him.””

Miller added that Shumpert would continue to participate in the team’s offseason training program.

A Tucson local, the Santa Rita High School player was the last Wildcat recruited by former head coach Lute Olson.

He is the last in a recent line of UA transfers.

Guard Garland Judkins transferred to the University of Texas, San Antonio, in the middle of this season while guard Zane Johnson transferred to the University of Hawaii at the end of last season. Then-freshman Jeff Withey also transferred to Kansas before last year’s season began.