Police Beat: Oct. 27

The three drunketeers

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol near Second Street and Olive Road around 12 a.m. on Saturday when he noticed three women stumbling and having trouble maintaining their balance. The officer stopped them and asked if they were OK. He smelled a strong odor of alcohol coming from them. The women all said they were 18 years old and submitted to a preliminary breath test. All three women tested positive for alcohol. The women said they were at a party at an apartment off campus and they were walking back to their rooms at Coconino Residence Hall. The three women were cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Woman over celebrates first birthday

A UAPD officer responded to Posada San Pedro Residence Hall at 2 a.m. on Saturday in reference to an intoxicated woman. The woman passed out in the bathroom and Tucson Fire Department paramedics treated her at the scene. The woman told the officer that she had nine shots of Captain Morgan at a friend’s house, but would not give her friend’s name or address. She said her birthday was Oct. 21, 2011, but corrected herself and told the officer she had just turned 19. The woman had a strong odor of alcohol coming from her mouth and had red, watery eyes. She was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Burrito bandit busted

A UAPD officer responded to the Sigma Kappa sorority house at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday in reference to a disturbance that occurred at a philanthropy event. The officer met with the sorority member coordinating the event, who reported that a man wearing a blue and red wrestling mask with horns had stolen food and a sign and had kicked over a garbage can. The woman thought the man was a Sigma Alpha Epsilon member because the sorority had just dealt with a group of them who had been trying to get free food, which was only for participants of the event. The man came up to the table and asked for food and “agua” in very poor Spanish, the woman said. She said she thought he had been drinking because of his lack of balance and his behavior. The woman and another sorority member tried to close the double doors of the house, but the man held them open. He grabbed the woman’s arm but she pushed him away and was able to close the doors. She said the man left, and then returned a few minutes later and violently shook the doors. The man kicked over a garbage can and pulled down a banner for Chipotle, which was sponsoring the event. He ran down the alley with the banner.

The officer went to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house and saw a man who matched the description in the courtyard. When the officer asked the man to step outside, he said to another fraternity member, “Well, I’m going to jail.” He told the officer he had not been at the sorority house and he did not know where the banner was. He had a strong odor of alcohol coming from his mouth. Three out of four women from the sorority positively identified the man as the one who had caused the disturbance at the house. The man was arrested on charges of assault, theft, disorderly conduct and minor in possession of alcohol in body. The banner was found and returned to Sigma Kappa.