Arizona softball has winless weekend against Oregon State

Tyler+Baker+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AUA+Softball+took+on+UCLA+this+weekend+and+lost+the+series+2-1.+
Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA Softball took on UCLA this weekend and lost the series 2-1.

Once again, a team from Oregon was unforgiving to Arizona softball, as the struggling Wildcats went winless in the Beaver State this weekend.

Last place UA (28-22, 5-13 Pac-12) was swept by Oregon State (30-17, 7-11 Pac-12) in a must-win series.

Arizona is on a five-game losing streak, has lost eight of its last nine and is 2-9 in its last 11 games.

OSU beat the Wildcats 2-1 in all three games, all ending on plays at the plate, to sweep Arizona for the first time ever.

Since its 8-6, 10 inning win over UCLA on April 18, the UA has scored seven runs in five games.

On Sunday, junior Shelby Babcock (15-9) had a no-hitter into the fifth inning, gave up three hits, struck out six and walked three in the eight inning loss. On offense, the Wildcats stranded 14 runners and had seven hits.

In the bottom of the eighth, Arizona couldn’t convert on a game-ending double play, did not record an out on a ground ball and did not convert an outfield assist in blowing a 1-0 lead.

In the top of the eighth, Arizona scored what looked like the game winning run off of a single by junior center fielder Alex Lavine, though the UA left the bases loaded.

Wilson and junior utility player Kelsey Rodriguez each had two hits. The Wildcats had their lead-off batter reach base six of the eight innings, but none scored.

Arizona’s all-time record against OSU dropped to 30-7 after the Wildcats lost their second series to the Beavers.

On Saturday, Arizona stranded 10 runners for the second game in a row.

The Wildcats and Beavers were both held to three hits and OSU senior pitcher Marina Demore (18-9) struck out one.

Wildcat pitchers on the other hand, struck out 10, the third time this season the UA had double digit strikeouts. Freshman Nancy Bowling had a no hitter until the fourth inning when a Beaver RBI tied the game. Bowling was lifted after 4.1 innings, seven strikeouts and five walks.

Oregon State loaded the bases in the seventh without a hit, getting two walks and an error before getting the walk off win.

The loss dropped the UA into sole possession of last place in the Pac-12. From 1992 to 2007, Arizona finished first or second in the Pac-10.

On Friday, Arizona opened up the series by stranding 10 runners, including seven in the final three innings in their first 2-1 loss of the weekend.

The Wildcats nearly tied the game in the seventh, but sophomore second baseman Chelsea Suitos, trying to score from second, was ruled out.

Arizona, which had five hits, left nine runners on base in the final four innings. In the fifth and sixth, the UA had runners at third with less than two outs, but couldn’t score.

Babcock picked up the loss, despite allowing one earned run in six innings, striking out five and walking three.

Sophomore catcher Chelsea Goodacre drove in her 52nd run to tie the Pac-12 RBI lead at the time.

Up next for the Wildcats is the final home series. This weekend, the UA hosts No. 5 ASU, winner of six straight against Arizona.