UA Cares facilitates month of volunteering opportunities on campus

The+Human+Resources+clothing+drive+box+in+the+University+Services+building+on+Wednesday%2C+October+16%2C+2019+in+Tucson+Arizona.+
Lexi Horsey
The Human Resources clothing drive box in the University Services building on Wednesday, October 16, 2019 in Tucson Arizona.

Throughout the rest of October and into November, UA Cares is organizing volunteering and philanthropic events to support both University of Arizona departments and non-profits in the Tucson community.

Karla Morales, the director of outreach and community partnerships for UA Cares, said that UA Cares is an umbrella organization that works in three different ways on campus.

RELATED: UA Foundation beats their fundraising record

Morales said the first section is their employee campaign, which means that employees can choose to deduct an amount from their payroll and donate it to a non-profit or UA department of their choice.

UA Cares’ second section is department fundraisers, according to Morales. She said that UA departments will run their own fundraisers to raise money for a non-profit or a department.

“So, through these fundraising events, they put posters up, they communicate throughout campus, they put it on the community calendar and they invite people to come in and participate,” Morales said. 

The third section of UA Cares is the volunteering they organize all year long for faculty, staff and students, according to Morales.

She said that one of the biggest volunteering events will be the United Way Days of Caring on Oct. 25 and 26 where she said thousands of volunteers will be working on projects throughout Tucson.

“So, there is several events going on around campus and every single one of them is to help the community in one way, shape or form, whether it’s through a sock drive or through fundraiser lunches or through collection for “Youth On Their Own,” Morales said.

Here are some of the many activities that UA Cares will be providing throughout the rest of October and into November to support the local Tucson community.

Sock Drive

According to the UA Cares website, a sock drive began Oct. 14 and will continue taking donations until Nov. 8. 

All donations will be donated to Tucson Salvation Army Hospitality House. People interested in helping can drop off their donations on the second floor of the Administration Building. 

UA Cares Collection for Youth On Their Own

The UA Graduate College will be collecting supplies for the non-profit Youth On Their Own from Oct. 21 to Nov. 22.

According to UA Cares’ website, Youth On Their Own has been providing financial support and mentorship to homeless youth to help keep them in school for over 30 years.

The Graduate College will be collecting non-perishable food items, undergarments sized for 13-21 year olds and personal care products.

Donations can be brought to Room 322 of the Graduate College Lobby.

United Way Days Of Caring:

On Oct. 25 and Oct. 26. UA Cares will be cooperating with the non-profit United Way of Tucson for two days of volunteering throughout the city. 

The event will pair volunteers with local projects that need assistance, such as a school that needs landscaping done.

Morales said that UA Way will provide lunch and supplies for the projects.

Breakfast Burrito Sale:

The Department of Spanish and Portuguese will be selling breakfast burritos at 8 a.m. on Oct. 29 in Room 545 of the Modern Languages Building. 

According to the UA Cares Website, all proceeds from the sale will go to Department of Spanish and Portuguese study abroad scholarships.

16th Annual FM Chili Cook Off

Facilities Management will be holding its annual Chili Cook Off Fundraiser for the 16th year in a row on Nov. 8. 

All proceeds from the event will be donated to the non-profit Youth On Their Own.

Participants will be able to buy single bowls of chili for $5 or all you can eat for $10. There will also be raffle tickets sold for a special prize and a prize for the best chili. 

RELATED: Amazon donates $30k to Diamond Children’s Medical Center

International Soup and Bread Sale

The College of Humanities will be selling soups from a variety of international regions that are represented in the department at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Nov. 15 in Room 345 of the Modern Languages Building. 

All funds collected from the sale will be donated to UA Campus Pantry. They will also be collecting non-perishable food items to be donated to campus pantry.

Follow Jake Toole on Twitter