College of Law hosts film series on US civil rights movement

Sally Lugo
A group of students watch “Eyes on the Prize” at the James E. Rogers College of Law during the Lunchtime Lecture Series on Monday, Feb. 2nd.

On Monday, the UA’s James E. Rogers College of Law presented “Eyes on the Prize,” a PBS series focused on the civil rights movement in the U.S. The event was sponsored by the Black Law Students Association and is set to run for six consecutive Mondays. The movie series is being held at the College of Law in Room 156 from noon to 1:15 p.m.

Nancy Stanley, director of communications for the College of Law, said that the purpose of the series is to “give people familiarity … and it’s a chance for people to see really amazing stories … and analysis of the civil rights movement.”

A group of 17 gathered at the College of Law at noon. Angela Addae, a sociology graduate student, was among those in the crowd. Addae said that the film was very informative and historically accurate. 

“I think people should constantly be aware … of where people’s outrage is stemming from,” Addae said. “People should celebrate black heritage all year round, because it is not confined to just February.”

The documentary is a 14-hour series that covers major events from 1954-1985, such as Rosa Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott, and the work of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Aaron Gbewonyo, a law student, said that the series portrays “the effects of the Jim Crow South and the historical movements that served as the foundation for the change we see today.”

In response to current events, Gbewonyo added that “in many states, the laws that caused issues of the past are still on the books. … We have seen a number of issues within the last five years that have been racially charged, creating a nationwide divide.”

Gbewonyo suggested not waiting until February to get informed about the history of African-Americans.

“I feel it is important to be able to discuss issues in the past, so that you can avoid repeating them in the future,” Gbewonyo said.
Addae added that most of what made up the civil rights movement “were strikingly similar to what is happening today, such as the Black Lives Matter protests.”

Carlos Jauregui, a law student, also attended the event and stated that it is extremely important to remember the past because it serves as a reminder to be kind to one another.

Jauregui said that it is important for society to be educated and to educate future generations, especially today.

_______________

Follow Terrie Brianna on Twitter.