The audacity of hope: Fresh faces could revitalize ASUA

Another year, another round of student government elections: It might seem tiresome to students, but this year offers a batch of fresh-faced candidates that just might turn the ship around.

As explained to us by one candidate, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona are often perceived with revulsion or, more often, downright indifference. That’s a sad state of affairs for any government, but we’re excited to say that our endorsed candidates (see Page 5) could provide just enough energy and enthusiasm to revitalize an institution still recovering from scandals and stagnation.

Our endorsement process was rather simple. We interviewed senatorial candidates for 15 minutes, vice presidential candidates for 30 minutes and presidential candidates for one hour, pressing them all to explain their platforms as well as their vision for the future of the UA.

Senatorial candidates were given scores on a scale from 1 to 10, taking into consideration the strength of their platforms, the feasibility of their plans and their overall ability to present a coherent and compelling vision. The candidates that appear on the opposite page received the top five average scores.

Owing to the executives’ function within ASUA (vice presidents and the ASUA president are responsible for setting the general tempo of student government), executive candidates were not scored on any sort of scale. Rather, we queried them on their perceptions of the role of student government as well as their hopes and aspirations for next year. Then we debated the effectiveness with which they presented their points.

Thus, selecting the executive candidates was no easy task. All six executive hopefuls are impressively qualified, with rǸsumǸs as long as they are comprehensive. In the end, though, a certain few met our most fundamental criteria: A vision for the UA that breaks free of the status quo, that boasts ideas as fresh as they are well-researched, that champions substance over style.

From the quiet wisdom of Abbas Tuli and Ezekiel Gebrekidane to the indomitable enthusiasm of Tommy Bruce and Michael Slugocki to the do-it-yourself attitude of Amy Drapkin and Lauren Abbott, our endorsed candidates represent all of these ideals, and more.

Our endorsements for this year’s ASUA election might be unconventional, perhaps even controversial. But we’re confident that, if elected, our endorsed candidates can reshape the face (and the heart) of our student government.

Opinions Board
    Editorials are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Justyn Dillingham, Damion LeeNatali, Stan Molever, Nicole Santa Cruz and Matt Stone. Allison Hornick recused herself from the endorsements.