Mailbag: Jan. 13

Two semesters ago, amongst the controversy of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona presidential election, I wrote my concerns to the Daily Wildcat about the presidential election being based on a foundation of popularity rather than being based on a foundation of real substance. Also, I wrote about how the presidential winner should actually earn the opportunity and trust he “won” from the election by the actions and contributions he made within ASUA.

In a related article, also two semesters ago in the Daily Wildcat, newly elected President James Allen wrote his one article stating that he was going “to address … flaws” within the ASUA organization, and try “to restore legitimacy … in an effort to remind students why it is important to move forward.” He stated that he would “accept the challenge to earn” our “trust and restore faith in” ASUA. I believe he has failed to accomplish the goals he said he would accomplish.

The real questions are whether or not you, the students, believe that the ASUA president has achieved what he set out to do. Did he address the flaws in ASUA? Did he restore legitimacy? Did he earn your trust and restore faith in ASUA? You should voice your concerns. After all, the ASUA president is a representative of the student body, whether or not you voted for him, or whether or not you concern yourself with ASUA.

The potential candidates for the upcoming ASUA elections should take a lesson from last year’s elections and the mistakes that past presidents have made. A president shouldn’t be based on popularity, but on experience, wisdom and character. However, the cycle seems to repeat itself and will again in the future. Allen has one more semester to accomplish the goals he set himself to achieve. I wonder, if a different president had been elected, one that didn’t start off his or her presidency with controversy, how ASUA would be functioning and what accomplishments would they have achieved.

— Thompson Whatoname,
    psychology and philosophy senior