Police Beat

Man collapses near stadium, is declared dead
    A man was pronounced dead after collapsing outside of the Arizona Stadium, on Oct. 4.

Police received a call for a man suffering from a possible heart attack. Witnesses said they were waiting to cross East Sixth street toward the stadium. When the man attempted to cross, he suddenly stopped, grabbed a light pole for a few seconds and then collapsed onto his back. A witness called 911.

The responding officer made contact with the Tucson Fire Department, which was assisting the call. They identified the man and said that he was not affiliated with the UA. He was transported to University Medical Center. When officers arrived, staff members were trying to resuscitate the man, but after multiple attempts they pronounced him dead.

Man trails women, cited for public drinking
    Police stopped a man for following a group of women Oct. 2. Police reported they saw a man following three women for so long that the women attempted to jaywalk across Sixth Street east of Park Avenue. The patrolling officer went around the block and observed the man being very animated with the women, flailing his arms around. Two other women began crossing at Park Avenue and Sixth Street, and the man appeared to be blocking them. The women evaded him and quickened their pace, walking away north onto Park Avenue.

The man then saw officers and threw the contents of a white cup he was carrying into a bush. When the officer approached the man to speak with him, the man became agitated. The man was cited for drinking in public. He refused to sign the citation, so he was transported and booked into the Pima County Jail.

Man booked for multiple warrants
    A police aide saw a man lying down on Martin Avenue just north of First Street on Oct. 2 and called officers to check the man’s welfare.

Upon arrival, the officer noticed the man appeared to be eating while lying down. He seemed to be responsive and identified himself to the officer. The officer then conducted a background check on the man. It was reported that the man had four outstanding misdemeanor warrants for his arrest from the University of Arizona Police Department.

The man also had one outstanding non-extraditable felony warrant for his arrest from North Carolina. Reports noted that the man also had an active exclusionary order from UAPD and was not allowed on property that is owned, leased or controlled by the UA.

The man was arrested and taken to the Pima County Jail, where he was booked for criminal trespass in the third degree and four misdemeanor warrants.

Student banned from bookstore after stealing CDs, music magazines
    A man was arrested on charges of shoplifting Oct. 2.

A security employee at the UofA Bookstore called police after seeing a man shoplift a case of blank CDs on camera. The employee said he recognized the man as having stolen from the bookstore before. He began watching the man, who was carrying a longboard. The employee said the man picked up a case of CDs and walked around the store. Eventually he set the CDs and his longboard down on a counter and walked up and down an aisle, opening his backpack but not putting anything inside it. Eventually, he walked back to the CDs and his longboard, put something in his backpack and left the bookstore holding only the longboard. The employee said that security attempted to apprehend the man but was unsuccessful. A description of the man was given to officers, who conducted a search of the nearby area and found no one matching the description.

An employee who worked at the electronics counter said he knew the man and identified him. He told officers that the man lived at Campus Crossings, 1150 E. Eighth St., although he did not know the apartment number. Police made contact with the man. He said he knew why the officers were there. He told them that he needed some blank CDs and, after checking his account, realized that he did not have any money. The man admitted going to a counter, sticking the CDs in his backpack and leaving the store. He said that he knew it was wrong.

Police then asked the man if he had done this before. He told officers he had stolen some magazines the previous week, then handed them a copy of Th1rt3en magazine. He said, “”The rest of the magazines I stole, I already cut out the pages and put them on my wall so I don’t know which ones they are.”” The man told officers that he had used one of the CDs and would “”pay them back.””

Police took the CDs and magazine. The man was cited and released for shoplifting. He was told he was not welcome at the UofA bookstores.