Campus warms to sunny days

International business sophomore Chris Liebner spent a warm winter afternoon skateboarding. Arizona in the winter ... so nice, said Liebner.
    International business sophomore Chris Liebner spent a warm winter afternoon skateboarding. ‘Arizona in the winter … so nice,’ said Liebner.

Students who factored in Tucson’s sunny skies when deciding to attend the UA are reaping the benefits of the unseasonably warm weather this winter.

Jessica Engholm, a pre-business junior from Nebraska, said she is excited that she can sunbathe at this time of year, especially considering the icy conditions her family and friends have to deal with at home.

“”I’ll call back home and talk to my friends and they’ll be laughing at me,”” said Engholm as she tanned with her friend in the Alumni Plaza. “”(They say,) ‘You have it so good there compared to back home,’ where the weather is so drastic.””

Atmospheric sciences professor Benjamin M. Herman said the recent warm weather is not because of global warming, but because warmer west-east winds are blanketing the United States and a high-pressure system is affecting the western parts of the country.

“”These are normal fluctuations of the weather pattern,”” Herman said.

Ryan Sommers, a creative writing senior, said he not only appreciates the activities that come with sunny days, but also the activities they don’t bring.

“”I was tired of shoveling snow at 4 in the morning in Chicago,”” Sommers said. “”So I tried to find the most extreme difference in climate from where I come from.””

Some students have manifested their appreciation by playing Frisbee for longer periods of time.

“”We play pretty much daily. We’ve been able to play for longer ’cause it’s not so cold,”” said Shannon Triplett, a sophomore majoring in creative writing and English. “”It’s nice. I’m from Iowa, so I really enjoy having a warm winter.””

Sommers said another benefit to having the unseasonably warm weather is being able to wear summer clothing.

“”Going home to Chicago where it’s negative (degrees) and then coming back here, it’s a nice decision to choose whether to wear shorts or jeans as opposed to the decision of whether or not you want to wear a sweater under your jacket,”” Sommers said.

Tyler Loomis, a business senior, said the mild climate makes him want to spend time outdoors.

“”You can’t beat it: I can come out in a T-shirt and shorts; I probably won’t be wearing my sweater later,”” he said.

Andrew Sherman, a mathematics junior, said although he is enjoying the warmth, he is concerned about what’s in store for the rest of the year.

“”I’m definitely worried about the summer,”” Sherman said. “”It’s a nice day now, but if it’s 15 to 20 degrees warmer, the summer is going to be a wreck.””

But Roger Conant, a pre-business sophomore from Rhode Island, finds the heat “”bothersome”” because it makes him sweat.

“”I don’t like it too much. I’m from the East coast – the cold is much better,”” Conant said.