Calendar

Today

Street-Prov Theatre Collective – Improvisational comedy that will give you the hiccups from laughing so hard. But, you know, the fun kind of hiccups. 8:30 p.m. Free. Social Sciences building, Room 100

Thomas Dolby – Electro-pop to dance yourself a new revolution. Or to dance yourself an old revolution, as Thomas Dolby is best known for 1983’s “”She Blinded Me With Science.”” With B.T. 8 p.m. $18 advance, $20 at the door. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Tim Reynolds with Leila Lopez – An alternative acoustic concert with Tim Reynolds, who sounds like Neil Young, and Leila Lopez, a local songstress whose emotional vocals will give you goosebumps. 9:30 p.m. $15. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

Tomorrow

Love Me Nots CD release party – They’re cute, they’re mod and they’ve been playing show after show to gain publicity for their first release, The Love Me Nots in Black and White. If you like hot girls with rockin’ voices who will make you totally intimidated by their awesomeness, then don’t miss the show. 9 p.m. $5. Surly Wench, 424 N. Fourth Ave. (21+)

Metalfest – Local legends Gat Rot will be playing, along with other metallic bands to grind to. It’s one hell of a lineup, with performances by Abigail Williams, Knights of the Abyss, Illusory Veil, A Breath Before Surfacing, Don’t Forget to Die, Headtrip, Desired Affliction, Safaran and Revolt & Grimaced. 5:30 p.m. $9. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.

The Cops – There are a lot of bands called The Cops, but I think these guys take the cake for the best sound posing as law enforcement. They’re like the Pixies meets Elvis Costello. With the Deludes and Beta Sweat. 9:45 p.m. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)

UA Philharmonic Orchestra – Sometimes when I listen to orchestrated concerts, I imagine myself dancing up and down the aisles. Then I write poetry. Immerse your creativity in the sounds of works by Rossini, Ravel and Dvorak. 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall

First Friday Shorts – The monthly short-film contest held by The Loft Cinema. Hosted by cartoonist Max Cannon (“”Red Meat””), films are all under 15 minutes and if the audience doesn’t like it, they scream “”gong!”” and the next film is played. The winner receives $100 and local notoriety for making an awesome short film. 9 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Saturday

Grand-Master Showdown – Come watch your favorite martial artists, including Jet Li and Chuck Norris, in masterful fight scenes. The audience votes for their favorite master fighter after watching a clip from their respective movie, and through a bracketed system, the Grand-Master will be declared. This will be followed by a screening of Bruce Lee’s “”Enter The Dragon.”” 7 p.m. $7. The Screening Room, 127 E. Congress St.

Calexico – Calexico is totally a big deal. They are Tucson natives and their latest album Garden Ruin was just released on Quarterstick records. If you’ve never heard these indie-folk kids perform, you’re in for a treat. This concert is a fundraising event for Humane Borders, an organization that fights for, well, humane border control. With the Annuals. 8 p.m. $16 (33 percent of all proceeds benefit Humane Borders). Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Black Label Society – These days, you can’t say that you’re a heavy metal fan if you don’t like at least some of Black Label Society’s songs. They’re playing with Black Stone Cherry and Priestess, whose songs have a certain pungent appeal to middle-of-the-road hard-rockers everywhere. 6:30 p.m. $32. Marquee Theatre, 730 N. Mill Ave., Tempe

Sunday

“”Dark Water Rising”” – This film, about animal rescue missions after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, is part of the Media Literacy Project, which aims to bring thoughtful films to adolescents who would otherwise not have the opportunity to view them. It’ll be a good movie, if you don’t mind all of the kids in the theater. 1 p.m. Free for K-12 students, parents and teachers, $5 general admission. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Monday

“”Picturing Mary”” – This documentary, about the many artistic and historical representations of Mary, the mother of Jesus, is brought to you for free by The Loft Cinema, KUAT and Emerging Pictures. 7:30 p.m. Free. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Forbidden: The Legacy of Chernobylð – This photography exhibit documents the Soviet cleanup of the Chernobyl power plant after it exploded in 1986. It’s a history lesson and an artistic venture that depicts environmental and human devastation. Runs until Dec. 10. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Student Union Memorial Center, Union Gallery

Tuesday

Ziggy Marley – Smoke some pot and then go to this concert. Go on, fry your brain cells and then wash them away with some cool reggae music. With Skye. 8 p.m. $26. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Keaton Simons – He’s been touring the late-night talk show circuit, and now he’s playing in Tucson! His pop-rock acoustic sound has earned him a rather large following. Go see what all the fuss is about! With Population Game and Crossing Sarnoff. 8:30 p.m. $5. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. (21+)

Wednesday

Public Enemy – That’s right, it’s the band that made Flavor Flav a millionaire. And they’re performing with Chuck D (Beastie Boys), Professor Griff, the S1Ws, Dj Lord, X Clan and The Banned. It’ll be a hip-hop extravaganza. I wonder which oversized clock Flavor Flav will don. 8 p.m. $26 in advance, $30 day of show. Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

– compiled by Alexandria Kassman