OPINION: Vote blue no matter who

Joe Biden is the democratic party nominee for the 2020 presidential race. The first round of debates was held Tues. Sept. 29. (Photo by Marc Nozell/Flickr) 

The stress and panic of the COVID-19 virus has, quite understandably, distracted people from the democratic primary. I’d like to draw everyone’s attention back to the election for this article, because, despite literally everything else being cancelled, primary season continues mostly unabated.

Discussing the democratic primary has been stressful for a while, and conflicting views from each candidate are preventing unity within the party. We’ve narrowed down our choices to the two old men who’ve been in politics long before any of us were born: Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. The party knew it would come down to these two in the end, against the efforts and gains of Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg through the campaign this year. 

The party is split down the middle, pitting moderates against self-proclaimed democratic socialists.  Between Biden and Sanders slandering each other while Donald Trump sits on Twitter constantly, stirring the pot to distract the country from his own b.s., the presidential election campaign trail has turned into a reality show that is aptly named Desperate Candidates of D.C.: Old Man Edition

There’s no question that it’s up to the democratic party to get Trump out of office. Unfortunately, the rift between Biden and Sanders supporters may allow Trump to run this country into the ground for the next four years. As I’m sure many of you have heard, a lot of voters are planning to not vote at all if their candidate is not voted to go toe-to-toe with Trump, or they say they will just write in the name of their candidate.

RELATED: Republicans are right about Tucson elections

I have one thing to say to that: get over yourself.

Do you think I want to vote for an old man who can’t seem to let go of his pride enough to do what’s best for the country? Absolutely not. I wasn’t planning on voting for either of these candidates. But I know the world will suffer so much more if Donald Trump is re-elected, than if either Biden or Sanders takes the presidency. I can’t believe people in the democratic party are considering not voting for whoever ends up being the nominee after seeing what Trump has been for the past four years.

To Sanders supporters who think Biden is too ‘mentally unstable’ to get behind if he is the nominee: have you seen ANYTHING Trump has said in his presidency? Are you going to let your hurt feelings allow the man who changed a map of a hurricane path with a sharpie just so he wouldn’t have to admit he was wrong, continue to be our president? 

When I hear the argument that since Biden has had slips of memory during his campaign trail, he shouldn’t be voted for, I think whoever I’m talking to is the one with the memory problem, seeing as they can’t seem to recall all of the mentally unstable things Trump has done. I get that Sanders is an unwavering man and has instilled that in his voters, but remember, there’s a difference in not changing your stances because you believe they are just, and allowing pride make you an uncompromising jackass. 

Your ‘Bernie or Bust’ philosophy is going to ruin the country. Get off your high-horse, and if Sanders isn’t the nominee, vote for Biden, or you have no right to complain about anything Trump says or does for the next four years.

To Biden supporters who won’t vote for Bernie if he becomes the nominee because he is ‘too far left’: do you think Trump is a more capable man for the presidency than Sanders? Are you forgetting that this man once said that white supremacists were good people? WHILE he was president? 

Sanders may be extreme, but at least he is educated, and he understands politics more than Trump does. He is not racist, or homophobic, and he will not make people afraid to be who they are every day he is president. If Sanders is nominated, do not skip the polls because you are hurt that Biden will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride. As Miley Cyrus once said, build a bridge and get over it. Vote for the nominee, or jeopardize the country as we know it.

I believe that we can pull together and defeat this monster in the White House. As I said before, everyone needs to get over themselves for the good of the country. If you don’t, I don’t want to hear a single peep from y’all over the next four years, because you will have done it to us. A skipped vote for the democratic nominee is as good as a vote for Trump. Are you a Trump supporter?

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter