Police Beat: January 31

Trippin’ in the bathroom

A UA student was diverted for underage drinking on Jan. 22 at 11:53 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call from a resident assistant at Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall concerning a student on the bathroom floor. The RA found the student covered in vomit and unconscious in the bathroom and moved him to his room. The officer went to the student’s room and found him on the floor; he was conscious but was not responding to any questions. When the student did try to speak, his speech was very slurred and his breath smelled strongly of alcohol.

The Tucson Fire Department was called to the room and began to give medical attention to the student. Because the student was not responding to any questions, TFD called an ambulance to have him transported to the UA Medical Center for extreme intoxication. The next morning, the officer met with the student at UAMC and found him conscious and responsive. The student confirmed that he had consumed alcohol the previous night. He, however, would not say specifically how much he drank or where he drank. He just said he “drank a lot at a friend’s house.”

The officer informed him that he was being diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

Those aren’t your Flintstone vitamins

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Jan. 23 at 10:35 p.m.

Two UAPD officers were conducting rounds in the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall when they smelled marijuana coming from one of the rooms. The officers knocked on the door of the room, and the resident answered. He told the officers that his roommate was not there. The officers told him that they smelled marijuana and the student gave them permission to search the room.

The student said he had marijuana and he pulled out a vitamin bottle from the bottom drawer of his dresser. The student pulled out a baggy inside the vitamin bottle containing the marijuana. He then pulled out a glass pipe and gave it to one of the officers.

The officers explained the diversion program to the student and placed the marijuana and the pipe in UAPD evidence.

Great balls of fire

A UA student was cited and released for underage drinking on Jan. 25 at 4:32 a.m.

A UAPD officer responded to call of an extremely intoxicated student in Coronado Residence Hall. The student’s roommate said the intoxicated student said he was going to a party earlier in the night and, later on, returned to the room very drunk. The officer could smell alcohol coming off of the intoxicated student. The officer asked him if he had been drinking, and the student confirmed that he had.

TFD arrived on the scene and determined the student needed to be transported to UAMC for further treatment. The officer later met with the student at UAMC. The student told the officer that he “drank too much last night.” The student then admitted to drinking “a lot” of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky in a residence hall but claimed not to remember how much he had consumed.

The student was issued a Code of Conduct form through the Dean of Students Office.