Fast Facts

• The first CD pressed in the United States was Bruce Springsteen’s Born in the USA.
  • Bruce was the nickname of the mechanical shark used in the “”Jaws”” movie series.
  • In the late 19th century and earlier years of the 20th century, when gramophones or phonographs amplified sound through large horns, woolen socks were often stuffed in them to cut down the noise; hence the phrase “”put a sock in it.””
  • No Spanish words begin with the letter W (except for those of American-English origin).
  • Eggplant is a member of the thistle family.
  • The average woman consumes 6 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime.
  • Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
  • In 1954, boxers and wrestlers had to swear under oath they were not communists before they could compete in the state of Indiana.
  • Los Angeles’ full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula. It can be abbreviated to 6.3 percent of its size: L.A.
  • Las Vegas has more chapels per capita than any other U.S. city.
  • The three most valuable brand names on Earth are Marlboro, Coca-Cola and Budweiser, respectively.
  • It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year’s supply of footballs.
  • It takes 8 1/2 minutes for light to get from the sun to Earth. In total, the sunlight that strikes Earth at any given moment weighs as much as an ocean liner.