Depleted Wildcats to compete for top regional rankings

Five Arizona tennis players will sit out of the ITA Regional Championships due to injuries.

Junior Frank Chen and freshman Mike Pigou will not join the men’s team in Las Vegas as it competes in the ITA Mountain Regional Championships, which run Wednesday through Sunday.

Chen is recovering from a lower back injury, while Pigou is recovering from a wrist injury.

“We are going there as a young team,” head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “Only freshmen and sophomores are playing.”

The remaining six Wildcats will look to compete in singles and doubles matches against 17 other universities, with all matches to be held at the Darling Tennis Center.

Meanwhile, the women’s team will head to San Diego to participate in the ITA Southwest Regional Championships, held Thursday through Sunday.

Senior Sarah Landsman, sophomore Kim Stubbe and freshman Laura Oldham are all recovering from injuries and will not compete.

Natasha Marks and Lacey Smyth will team up to play doubles, while Susan McRann and Hailey Johnson will play doubles as the second team. The remaining five women will compete in singles.

“We expect everyone to do well after several weeks of good practices,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “(Smyth) and (Marks) have done well in our region in past events.”

All women’s matches will be played at Barnes Tennis Center.