Men’s tennis sharp in day one action

UA opposite hitter Randy Goodenough swats the ball into ASU middle blocker Sonja Markanovich in a 3-0 Wildcat win in McKale Center on Oct. 1.

Pink used to be a forbidden color.

Former UA assistant head coach Chris Gonzales put the reason behind the “”no pink”” rule in perspective for the players: He saw a picture of a beast of a volleyball player who was so ripped, tape couldn’t help her. The photo would have been the most intimidating thing for any competitor had she not had a little pink ribbon in her hair.

Arizona volleyball, though, will be pretty in pink tonight against No. 10 UCLA (12-4, 2-3 Pacific 10 Conference) rather than the usual cardinal and navy.

Apparently times have changed.

The one-time change in uniform is the squad’s opportunity to bring awareness to breast cancer in its Dig for a Cure match.

The Wildcats (12-5, 2-3) will play No. 11 USC (9-5, 2-3) on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The players don’t have a problem with playing in the less-intimidating color because it’s for a good cause.

“”It’s definitely different for us because we kind of have a bad-ass reputation,”” senior Brooke Buringrud said with a grin. “”Arizona volleyball being in pink is definitely a new experience for us, but we’re going to embrace it – I’m gonna go all out. It’s for a great cause.””

Earlier in the season when the team had its “”McKale Christmas,”” in which all the jerseys and equipment were distributed at one time, Buringrud joked about one teammate who was a part of a sorority house as well.

Sophomore defensive specialist Danielle Holloway is a member of the Delta Gamma sorority house – its colors are pink and blue – and Buringrud couldn’t resist.

“”I was telling Danielle, I was like, ‘Aw Delta Gamma! Pink and blue!'”” the outside hitter said.

Ordering the jerseys wasn’t as simple as going to Target and picking out matching t-shirts. They had to meet NCAA requirements.

“”There are requirements for NCAA so the numbers have to be a certain size on the back and I’m sure they say Arizona on them,”” Buringrud said. “”We may even wear pink shoelaces and pink hair ribbons.””

Regardless of whether the latter was an embellishment, a bunch of “”bad ass”” girls will be decked out in pink for the first time – ever.

“”It’s something that was planned from the beginning of the season,”” Buringrud said. “”This is the first time Arizona volleyball has ever done it.””

She added that the gymnastics team does it every year, and thought soccer may be doing it also.

UA head coach Dave Rubio said the game was put together through the squad’s marketing department, but unfortunately is not allowed to donate money – it’s simply to bring awareness.

“”It’s just an opportunity for us to give it more publicity,”” Rubio said, “”and do our part for supporting a great cause.””