Avicii to hit Tucson this weekend

Kevin Brost

The Swedish DJ Tim Bergling, more commonly known as Avicii, will perform at a block party on Fourth Avenue, behind The Hut, as a part of his House for Hunger tour this Sunday.

The event is a collaboration between Click Jab entertainment and The Big Room Group, the latter of which is responsible for other local Tucson events such as N9NE Fest and DAYGLOW.

In addition to Avicii, there will be a handful of opening acts, including DJ Michael Abate, DJ MAK J and DJ EYE, according to Adam Richman, a regional development senior and founder of the Big Room Group.

“It’s going to be 100 percent insanity from the moment the gates open,” Richman said. “This is something you will never forget — a day party featuring the hottest DJ in the world, walking distance from campus.”

According to Richman, there will also be a ton of special effects and some “very cool ‘props’ to get the crowd going.”

Tickets for the show will be available on the UA Mall today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and credit cards are accepted.

For those who can’t make the purchase in person, tickets are available at AviciiTucson.com. Regular tickets cost $40. VIP tickets are available for $50. The $10 difference allows buyers to skip the line and enjoy the show from the front row. The $59.99 combo pass gets buyers into both the Avicii block party and a performance by Benny Benassi, another award-winning DJ, on Feb. 17 in the Tucson Convention Center.

Some of the sales will go to a good cause, however, according to the event’s press release. Avicii and Arash “Ash” Pournouri, his manager and executive producer will donate $1 million in “gig fees” received through the tour to Feeding America, a hunger-relief charity The $1 million will pay for approximately 8 million meals to those in need. Another goal is to spread awareness about the hunger issues faced by many.

“Hunger hits everywhere and the U.S. is not immune to it,” Avicii said in the press release. “I never would have imagined that 1 in 6 people in America struggle with hunger, or that 1 in 4 children routinely do not get enough to eat.”

Richman feels strongly about the donations as well.

“We are excited to be responsible for such an amazing event,” he said, “but even more excited that it will be benefiting Feeding America.”