Police Beat

Two students were cited for being minors in possession and for disorderly conduct after a fight at Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall, 1000 N. Park Ave., Friday.

An officer responded to the dormitory after hearing about six men pushing each other and verbally fighting. When he arrived, he noticed a group of approximately 20 students, some only dressed in underwear and pajamas, gathered around the west entrance of the dorm.

The officer ran up the steps to the entrance and saw a few students lying on the ground in positions that indicated they had been pushed down. When the officer reached the crowd, approximately 15 of the students began running in separate directions.

The officer chased down six unidentified students inside the building but was unable to detain any. The officer then went back outside, where there was still a small crowd, and began asking who was fighting.

Multiple residents pointed to two students who were being detained by other officers on the scene. The witnesses said three men dressed in blue jeans and light-colored striped button-down shirts began fighting with an unknown person wearing a green shirt, but nobody saw any punches thrown.

Witnesses identified the two detained students as two of the three who were yelling and provoking others to fight. A milkshake had been thrown on one of the students’ backs.

The man had a strong odor of intoxicants on his breath when he spoke. He admitted to drinking three mixed drinks at a friend’s house off campus.

One witness and resident of the dormitory stated he wanted to press charges for disorderly conduct because he was in his room trying to sleep when he heard yelling and cursing coming from the entrance.

The two students were cited and released. One of the men said he could not dispute the MIP because he had been drinking, but was unwilling to accept the disorderly conduct charge. He was given the opportunity to discuss the matter at a later date when he was sober and signed a citation promising to appear in court.

The two men were referred to the Dean of Students Office.

An officer met a UA basketball coach at McKale Center, 1721 E. Enke Drive, Friday regarding larceny to the coach’s vehicle.

The coach said he parked his 2007 Audi on the south side of McKale and ran inside to grab something out of his office. He said he was gone for approximately two minutes.

When he returned, his parking permit for the Cherry Avenue Parking Garage was missing. He said there was no damage to his vehicle and the top to his convertible was down.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student contacted the University of Arizona Police Department about harassment Friday after getting a phone call from a man while she was at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St.

The student had been having problems with her roommate in Coronado since returning to school after winter break.

The student said she went to an MTV-hosted party two weeks ago with her friends. On Thursday, the woman received a call on her cell phone from a man who said he was representing a magazine. He asked her if she was interested in becoming “”Miss October”” for Nude Overweight Models magazine.

The student asked her friend about the phone number, and her friend said the area code was from the San Diego area. The student said she remembered her roommate and her roommate’s boyfriend were from San Diego.

She then recognized the voice of the caller as her roommate’s boyfriend, whom she had heard before on speakerphone. The student asked the caller if he knew her roommate, and the caller asked again if she was interested.

She said she told the caller to have a nice day and hung up the phone.

The student approached her roommate, who said she knew nothing about the call. The student asked her roommate to show her boyfriend’s phone number, and she refused.

The student said she wanted the incident documented. An officer recommended she contact the hall director at Coronado to discuss the situation and get advice on room assignments.