UA artists animate toy boutique

Margarita Brosova, Natalya Kolosowsky and Kimberly Piet are three women with vision and imagination, if the works on display in Lulubell Toy Bodega’s February show are any indication. The gallery exhibit, entitled “”Mythologic: Visions and Patterns,”” is a vision of the mythical and fantastic that lives up to its title.

Each of the featured artists is currently studying or has studied in UA’s Fine Arts program. Brosova is a current illustration and media arts senior, and Kolosowsky and Piet are both recent graduates of the visual communications program. While each artist’s background and inspiration is very different from the others’, their work is woven together with themes of magic and mysticism.

Brosova’s work attempts to recapture the understanding of magic and playfulness which people often lose as they age and mature. The figures in her work possess a visible motion and liveliness which call to mind her background in animation and demonstrate an ability to channel the activity of the childhood imagination.

Kolosowsky’s detailed drawings and small-scale sculptures portray women as powerful, influential creatures without many of the sensual overtones often associated with manipulative power. Rather, the women in her images take on strength and personality of their own with the underlying acknowledgement that they have access to a power outside of the human spectrum. Titles ranging from the “”Witches”” series, to “”Hexes (do not trust them)”” to “”Winter Sleep”” and “”Fig Newton”” recognize the range of female imagery Kolosowsky has created.

Piet’s work is perhaps the most abstract of the three. She uses embryonic symbols and images as the centerpiece of these vibrant, striking pieces. These images call attention to the similarities between the early human embryo and any other being at the stage of life. Piet invites us to marvel at the potential of that infinitesimal being. She treats this idea with such brash color and force that one can’t help but see the hint of fantasy within.

Lulubell Toy Bodega sets the perfect backdrop for this sort of show. The work of these women, peppered with punchy color and themes of fantasy, might fall flat in a strict gallery environment. Here, however, books and designer toys along the shelves only add to the impact of the work. It meshes beautifully.