Wildcats fight to stay on road to Omaha against Delaware

Justin Rex
Arizona senior infielder Kyle Lewis throws a ground ball to first. Arizona played Sam Houston in the their first game of the Lubbock NCAA Regional at Dan Law Field on May 2, 2017.

With the first game of the NCAA Lubbock Regional behind them, Arizona looks to face Delaware at 2 p.m. CST Saturday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.

The matchup will be the first time Arizona and Delaware have faced each other in program history.

With Arizona’s 18th College World Series appearance on the line, the Wildcats will look to keep their strong offense alive. They recorded 13 hits against Sam Houston State, three more than the Bearkats.

The Wildcats will still have plenty of bullpen to work with against Delaware, only throwing senior JC Cloney and sophomore Michael Flynn against Sam Houston State.

Delaware lost to No. 5 Texas Tech in the first game of the regional, 5-2. The Blue Hens registered six hits against the Red Raiders, but their pitching and defense was unable to keep the Red Raiders from crossing the plate.

The Blue Hens earned an automatic bid in the tournament after winning the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament and are making their first NCAA postseason tournament appearance since 2001.

Jordan Glover and Nick Patten both had a multi-hit game against Tech and were the only two players to record RBIs for the Blue Hens.

“You can’t win the tournament tomorrow,” Arizona coach Jay Johnson said. “We want to try to play in the first inning (Saturday) and you have to compartmentalize it.”

The Wildcats and Blue Hens will face off in an elimination game, with a super regionals trip on the line for both teams. 

** Editor’s Note: McKenzi Morris is Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Toreador at Texas Tech University. Morris is covering regionals for the Daily Wildcat.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter.