These are the four UA-related apps every new student should have

Z Saenz/SBS Tech/UA College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Then-freshman student Kirk Davis uses SafeRide’s old app, Transloc Rider, to order a SafeRide car on Sept. 30, 2016. With the passage of a recent City of Tucson ordinance, it is now a primary offence to use your hands to make a call with your cell phone.

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

With students plugged into their devices more than ever, here are our picks for the most important, got-to-have apps for being on campus here at UA.

#1. Arizona Mobile – The all-in-one

The official University of Arizona app has almost everything UA in one place: navigation, transportation, UAcesss, D2L, CatMail, health, news, entertainment and so much more. 

Though there are complaints of it being slow and crashing at times, the mobile app is considered a very practical must-have by many Wildcats. The app provides access to useful UA resource sites and UA-connected apps, such as UActive (for Campus Rec scheduling), UNutrition (Student Union’s nutrition-calculator app), TransLoc Rider (for CatTran real-time tracking) and LifeSafe (an app to get connected with UAPD for location tracking and safety resources in case of emergency).

RELATED: Solar cars run on Tucson sun

#2: The Daily Wildcat App – For all your UA news

Just when you think the Daily Wildcat can’t get any better, you can download the app! 

With a clear layout, this easy-to-navigate app is crucial to keep up with all things UA. Push notifications can bring you breaking news, the latest basketball scandal and the latest police beat. You can also access the digitized weekly print edition and connect with the Daily Wildcat on social media. 

If music or T.V. is more your style, this app has something for you, too. KAMP Radio and UATV also can be accessed through the app, so music, broadcasts and news are never further than your back pocket.

#3: Tapingo – For all the foodies 

As one of the most popular food ordering and delivery/pick-up apps for students, it is also arguably the No. 1 service implemented by many of the vendors in the UA Student Unions, Highland Market and other restaurants around campus. 

Used by hundreds of starving college students, Tapingo’s purpose is so that you won’t have to wait in line. Whether you to need to grab a quick bite between classes or need to refuel during a study session, the app is convenient for any student on the go.

#4 SafeRide  - Free transportation 

This free Associated Students of the University of Arizona service runs from Sunday through Thursday 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. and Friday from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. Their mission is to provide an alternative to walking alone on campus, and the service is managed and operated by students. You can call SafeRide at 520-621-SAFE(7233), but the system often bogs down with calls, so the new app is a useful alternative. Input your location from the list of offical pick-up spots and choose a destination. When the car arrives, just show your CatCard. The webiste notes that SafeRide is not a designated driving service, so if you’re intoxicated, you may be refused service. Search TapRide in the app store and select our school to start requesting rides!

#5: Metropia – Best parking-space finder

The University of Arizona’s Parking and Transportation Services partners with Metropia to help Wildcats find the ideal route to the best parking space during heavily-trafficked events such as football games.  The app allows you to see parking availability and fees in lots and garages in real time and guides you to less-congested areas around UA’s surrounding streets. It also rewards app users who carpool and plan routes in advance with points that can be exchanged for various gift card prizes.  Last year, PTS also provided prize packs to five raffle winners each week in the fall semester. The app has been highly recommended to UA visitors by PTS during special events.

RELATED: Pharmacy kiosks make filling prescriptions convenient

Honorable Mentions: 

GroupMe – To remind that one member

Group projects and presentations have always included the hassle to get everyone on the same page. At UA, GroupMe is a very popular group-messaging app that aids in managing group conversations and keeping in contact with everyone. 

It is an easy and informal platform with useful features such as liking messages and tagging individual users. There’s essentially no limit to the amount of people you can add to one chat. 

UAgenda – Know where to go

A newly developed UA app that helps you manage your course schedules, replacing old print-outs and screenshots of your UAccess Class Schedule page.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter