“ASUA, Notehall team up online”

The time of students copying notes in between classes, at home or late at night may soon be coming to an end with a unique program called Notehall.

“”It’s a peer review resource where students can actually access supplemental notes and study guides for certain courses,”” said Notehall creator Sean Conway.

“”It’s essentially a dynamic, out of class, extended learning opportunity,”” said Tommy Bruce, president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. “”Every student takes notes on a course different and learns different.

“”The program allows students to share their notes from the course and what they got from the course. We look at it this as a great value . . . to learn from peers. No discredit to faculty, but it can be such a restriction to get everything into one class,”” he added.

The Web site, notehall.com, is developed so that students can search by course, communicate with classmates, form study groups and sell notes to be posted.

Conway said one student earned $119 for submitting a study guide.

“”We have over 1,000 documents, study guides and lecture notes in the database already,”” he added.

The format for the notes is nearly universal, encompassing Word, PowerPoint and PDF. The user uploads the document into the database, and it is soon ready for download.

There is no cost to register for Notehall; however, the price of study guides and lecture notes will vary. Conway said several packages were created for a semester-long need as well as on an individual basis.

“”It’s about a dollar for a lecture,”” Conway said.

The account itself will require the individual to have a university e-mail account. Conway said that after two weeks Notehall currently has 1,800 registered users.

“”This is going like Facebook – it’s amazing,”” he said.

As for the quality of the notes, Conway said someone is always monitoring submissions before they are posted.

“”We want to reinforce quality. We have someone on full-time that goes through all the papers,”” he said. “”They scan all documents before they go online, just so they’re not the actual lecture slides or original material the instructor posted.””

To ensure the material is what the user is looking for, students will be able to preview 25 to 35 percent of the document before purchasing it.

Conway said he envisions his creation to be in nearly 70 other schools in two years time.

“”But our focus is Arizona,”” he said. “”There is no better school to do this at.””