Community Chatter: Are unpaid internships worthwhile?

“I believe that they are still very valuable even though it is unpaid, for after college. It is easier to do something when you get paid but it’s a true motivation when you are not paid. I still believe they are worthwhile because it builds a work ethic that it not driven on money.”

Kayla Ek
sophomore majoring in speech, language and hearing sciences

“I think internships overall are very important. It is a great opportunity to learn on the job training, especially in the career you would want to jump into. Even though it is unpaid it is definitely worth the experience. An internship itself is worth it, but if it is paid, that is an added bonus.”

Ben Rodriguez
business management senior

“I definitely think that they are very useful; I personally have never had an internship but if someone really enjoys their internship and they have decided that’s what they want for their career, then it wouldn’t matter if you were getting paid or not.”

Sarah Marrojo
pre-public health freshman

“Speaking from experience, I did an unpaid internship for Tucson Police Department over the summer, it really helps you get involved in the career your going to get into, helps you decide if you truly like it as well as meeting new contacts and gaining experience.”

Andrew Lantieri
criminal justice junior

“Yes I believe it is still worthwhile because you’re at least still getting experience. I would prefer to have a paid internship but I would settle for an unpaid internship. Regardless, I still believe it would help my overall success after college.”

Olivia Reeves
veterinary sciences freshman

“Paid is definitely better because it is much more helpful to have that excess income especially during the economic times, but I still believe that unpaid internships are not useless because it still gives you a knowledge and experience. If it is after college, I would expect to have a paid internship, but if I didn’t have a paid internship during college, I would be OK with that.”

James Mickle
theatre arts freshman

“I had an unpaid internship last year at Hamilton Beach, and even though they didn’t pay me, it still taught me that I don’t want to work in a cubicle for my career as well as how to apply the things I learned in school. I wish they would have paid for my gas. Money would have made me have a stronger drive in my work for but it still was useful regardless. I have noticed that many places won’t hire me if I don’t have an internship experience.”

Peter Reynolds
pre-business freshman