Arizona softball appoints Caitlin Lowe as next head coach

Caitlin Lowe is the current assistant coach for Arizona’s softball team. Pictured above is Lowe during the game against Cal State Fullerton on May 27, 2007. (Courtesy of Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics)

Following the retirement of legendary softball coach Mike Candrea, Arizona Athletics has announced that associate head coach Caitlin Lowe will be promoted and serve as the next head coach of the Arizona softball team.

Lowe has spent the last nine seasons under Candrea as the associate head coach and will be the Wildcats’ seventh head coach in program history. 

“Coach Candrea has built a culture of excellence that puts his players at the forefront,” Lowe said in a statement. “He has shown us all what it looks like to fiercely pursue our passion. He has led this team with integrity, class, and the upmost humility. I could not have asked for a better mentor in this game and most importantly in life. I take great pride in carrying on the tradition of what it means to be an Arizona Wildcat. I am so honored and extremely humbled to represent Tucson and the University of Arizona as your next head coach. Bear Down!”

Lowe played for Candrea at Arizona in 2004-07, helping the Wildcats win back-to-back Women’s College World Series titles in 2006-07.

“Caitlin Lowe has been a super star her entire life,” Candrea said in a statement. ”From her days as a four-time All-American at the University of Arizona to being a member of our USA Olympic Team to the National Pro Fastpitch league. Caitlin is special and she has continued that growth and success as the associate head coach for Arizona Softball. She is bright, a good communicator, understands what it takes having been there as an athlete, and the players love her. Without a doubt, Caitlin is the best person to continue the Arizona legacy into the future. She will be a super star for many years to come.”

An Olympian in 2008, Lowe won the silver medal under Candrea and played for Team USA from 2005-08. 

“We are excited to have Caitlin Lowe lead our storied softball program,” Vice President and Director of Athletics Dave Heeke said in a statement. “Caitlin represents championship excellence as a student-athlete, coach and alumni of our nationally-renowned program. Her experience playing and coaching the game at the highest levels are the foundation of her outstanding coaching pedigree. She has played a key role in the program’s legacy under hall of fame coach Mike Candrea and established herself as a rising star in softball coaching. I look forward to Arizona Softball’s future as it continues its first-class success on the field, in the classroom and in our community.”

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter