“Shots fired at Pittsburg police officer, suspect arrested”

Police will ask prosecutors to pursue an attempted murder of a police officer charge against a parolee suspected of firing several rounds at an officer after running a stop sign Tuesday night.

The veteran police officer was not struck by gunfire and was not seriously hurt by shards of flying glass from his patrol car’s windshield, Capt. Brian Addington said.

Dyrell Wayne Jones, 27, of Pittsburg, eventually surrendered after holing up at the home of an acquaintance, Addington said.

The officer, who has worked for the police department for 13 years, saw Jones drive his car through a stop sign on Atlantic Avenue around 5:30 p.m. and tried to pull him over, police said.

Instead of pulling over, Jones drove away from the officer and through the parking lot of Foods Co and into a back alley, where he hit a wall of another building while trying to make a turn, Addington said. He then got out of his car and “”started firing several shots”” at the officer sitting in his car.

The officer, whom police declined to identify, returned fire and hit Jones in the leg, Addington said. Jones was still able to run away.

“”The officer did not know if he hit Jones, since Jones was obviously able to run off,’ Addington said.

Jones shattered the glass on the officer’s car and left the officer with several minor cuts, he said.

Police used a dog during a house-to-house search that led them to an apartment near West Boulevard

and Madoline Street,

Officers determined he had a cell phone, called the number and he answered. He surrendered peacefully after 20 minutes at about 10 p.m., Addington said.

Jones was treated at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek and booked into County Jail in Martinez.

Besides the arrest on suspicion of attempted murder of a police officer, he was booked on a parole violation and being a felon in possession of a handgun. Jones has a previous robbery conviction, Addington said.

Other than the gun used to shoot at the officer, police found a second handgun with Jones in the attic.

“”We are still investigating the involvement of the acquaintances on whether or not they aided and abetted his escape,”” Addington said.