Making it Up as We Go Along: A Once in a Lifetime Performance

Movement Salon, a group comprised of five dancers, two writers and one musician, is preparing for its first evening-length improvised show Sunday at the ZUZI Theater in the Historic Y, 738 N. 5th Ave.

Although the troupe practices, nothing for this show is prearranged — everything performed will be made up on the spot.

“”I know it seems weird to practice what you don’t know, but we work together every week to prepare. Sometimes we work on … trying to find endings and sometimes we just create.”” said Katie Rutterer, a dancer for the salon. “”Meeting on a regular basis helps keep us connected as a group.””

The troupe has four rules it works with: “”show up, pay attention, tell the truth and don’t be attached to the results.”” The only restrictions to performances are space and time.

The objective of the group is “”to create instantaneous and ephemeral compositions that explore the relationships between movement, sound, and text; bodies and space; choice and responsibility; and self and others,”” while also staying in the moment, according to its Web site http://movementsalon.wordpress.com/.

The upcoming show on Sunday will be a “”once in a lifetime experience,”” according to the group’s press release. The performance will not be recreated for further shows and whatever happens, happens.

Following the show will be a Q&A with light refreshments. Don’t miss the chance to see dancers Kimi Eisele, Jennifer Hoefle, Greg Colburn, Amanda Morse, and Katie Rutterer; poets Lisa Bowden and TC Tolbert; and musician Vicki Brown in their unique one-night-only performance.

Rutterer and writer for the salon TC Tolbert are both UA alumni. Rutterer has an MFA from the School of Dance in performance and choreography while Tolbert has an MFA in creative writing.

Whether you’re seeking some inspiration or just need to get out on a Sunday night you may want to check out this performance. You never know what you may miss.