Coming up: The Loft Film Fest

Courtesy JesseJ.Media

A crowd watches Alex Cox’s “Tombstone Rashomon” at the 2016 Loft Film Fest.

November is perhaps the month in which people are most conscientious and pensive in regards to what they are thankful for, as this month marks the national holiday of Thanksgiving. We have many things to be thankful for, from food to shelter to family and friends, but locals may be thankful for something else in particular: the annual Loft Film Fest.

This year marks the eighth anniversary of the film festival. The Loft Cinema, located at 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., will host the entirety of the event, which will commence Wednesday, Nov. 8, and conclude on Thursday, Nov. 16. There is a lot to look forward to; The Loft has organized an eclectic array of films and filmmakers in honor of the event. Here’s a sampling of what’s to come.

“Revenge of the Nerds” 

The first film featured will be none other than “Revenge of the Nerds,” a cult classic near and dear to our hearts,as parts of it were filmed in Tucson and on the University of Arizona campus. You can watch this 1984 film on The Loft’s big screen at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 8. Not only can you watch it, but you can also have the opportunity to see Curtis Armstrong, who played “Booger” in the film, in person. Armstrong will be present to discuss the making of the film and his memories of Tucson in a post-film Q&A. He will also sign copies of his recently released memoir, “Revenge of the Nerd: Or … The Singular Adventures of the Man Who Would Be Booger.” His book will be available for purchase at the event. However, be sure to arrive early to attend the opening night party beforehand, which will have live music by local ’80s music cover band 80s & Gentlemen, as well as free champagne and some light hors d’oeuvres. General admission is $15, and for Loft members, admission is $10.

RELATED: Film at the Fence brings cinema to the border

“Manufacturing Consent”

The Loft Film Fest will present its annual Lofty Achievement Award to UA Professor Noam Chomsky, considered to be the founder of modern linguistics, at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 10. Chomsky will be celebrated for his noteworthy contributions to film and will introduce a special screening of the award-winning, 1992 political documentary “Manufacturing Consent,” in which Chomsky is featured. The night before the screening, Chomsky will also make an appearance on the UA campus for “The Haury Conversation” discussion with Regents’ Professor Toni Massaro about social justice and democracy. Pre-sale tickets for this event are sold out, but any remaining tickets will be available 20 minutes before the event at the box office.

RELATED: Documentary on civil rights icon comes to The Loft

“Gas Food Lodging”

This event, which begins at 2 p.m. on Nov. 12, will consist of the 25th anniversary screening of the 1992 drama “Gas Food Lodging” in 2K digital restoration, according to the film fest’s website. Allison Anders, who wrote and directed this independent film, is this year’s recipient of The Loft Film Fest’s 2017 Lee Marvin Maverick Award, which is presented to film artists whose work “embodies a bold spirit of daring, originality and independence,” according to the film fest’s website. The screening will also include a career highlight reel and the presentation of the award to Anders prior to the film’s screening, as well as an onstage Q&A with the director following the film’s end. The film’s cinematographer, Dean Lent, will also be in attendance. General admission for this event is $15, while admission is $10 for Loft members.

Of course, the above is just a glimpse of what to expect. For more information about The Loft Film Fest, visit their website.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter