Local lit mag releases DVD

Too lazy to sit down and read a book? Well Persona magazine has the solution. This year, the 29-year-old undergraduate literary magazine is adding a film component in the form of a DVD that is a little more than 60 minutes long.

The decision is one that has been in the works for awhile, but has only come to fruition with the addition of a media arts chair position, said Julie Wetmore, senior editor for Persona.

Persona features undergraduate work like poetry, fiction and non-fiction, memoir, music, two and three-dimensional art and now film.

The publication is produced annually and is sold in various places on campus, including the UA bookstore, the English department’s main office and Antigone Books on North Fourth Avenue.

Roberto Gudino, a media arts senior and one of 11 student filmmakers whose film work was accepted by the magazine, said he is excited to get to be a part of the publication.

“”It is a nationally-recognized student publication,”” he said. “”It’s really cool that they are including films.””

Gudino’s film, “”Just Coffee,”” is a documentary about illegal immigration that he said takes a more “”proactive”” view on illegal immigrants.

“”Instead of talking about the problems or policies, it talks about the solutions,”” said Gudino, who actually got stuck in Mexico while filming the movie.

Wetmore said the selection of the films this year was a collaborative approach between the officers and senior editors of the magazine.

Many of the films are unique and humorous, with subjects ranging from bicycle riders to the aforementioned coffee bean growing in Mexico, Wetmore said.

“”I am really excited that we could do it this year,”” she said.

But Wetmore said sometimes people are angered by Persona’s “”no censorship”” approach.

“”An (Associated Students of the University of Arizona) senator once tried to censor the magazine and failed,”” Wetmore said. “”It’s very autonomous, and we just publish what’s good.””

Bianca Williams, media arts chair, said she started at Persona because of her vision to create a magazine with an emphasis on music and media, and is happy she was finally able to see a film project to completion.

“”I just thought, what the hell, maybe I can help out,”” Williams said.

Persona will be holding its annual reading tonight in the Modern Languages building, Room 350. About an hour’s worth of films will be screened. The magazine is now on sale for $5 and includes a DVD.