The Mix

Although the temperature outside is still hitting the ’80s by day, winter is here. During the chilly desert nights, however, it’s clear the new year is approaching.
    For your enjoyment during a season that may force some to wear Uggs or long-sleeved shirts, the Daily Wildcat arts staff compiled a mixtape to accompany your time spent by the pool this December.

“”Winter”” from Goats Head Soup by The Rolling Stones
    There aren’t very many songs about winter that don’t talk about Christmas, but this one focuses on the depressing side of the holidays. It’s a cold, dark and slow-moving season, and the Stones do a fantastic job of expressing the cabin fever mood.
    – Adam Daley

“”The Wind Cries Mary”” from Are You Experienced? by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Jimi’s lazy groove will surely get you in the mood for snow that you won’t see unless you’re traveling, burning logs by the fire and passing out on eggnog.
    – Brandon Specktor

“”Saltwater”” from Beach House by Beach House
    Victoria Legrand’s vocals and organ wrap the listener up in a cozy blanket of sound.
    – Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”Leaves That Are Green”” from Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel
    A dulcet tune about time hurrying on is the perfect soundtrack as the year hurries to a close.
    – Brandon Specktor

“”Winter”” from We Were Here by Joshua Radin
    Cozy up to this ditty about winter memories of love gone away. The melody is soft as that fake fuzzy snow your grandma puts around her little Christmas village and Radin’s voice will lull you into a reminiscent eggnog-by-the-fire mood.
    – Courtney C. Johnson

“”Put the Lights On the Tree”” from Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens
    This song covers the Christmas/winter basics, with everything from trimming the tree to calling grandma, in true Sufjan style.
    – Ali Freedman

“”Chinese Translation”” from Post-War by M. Ward
    The beautiful song chugs along until the pace becomes breakneck at the end. Still, the song never loses its folksy allure.
    – Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”Safe Travels”” from Lightness by Peter and the Wolf
    The melodies and harmonies fit in a crisp, clear winter day.
    – Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”Omaha”” from The Loon by Tapes ‘n Tapes
    Nothing says dreadful winter like Nebraska.
    – Matthew Fitzgerald Kielty

“”Cocoon”” from Vespertine by Bjork
    Winter hibernation isn’t an option, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t be compelled to sleep between the sheets by sexy soft lyrics.
    – Courtney C. Johnson