FINAL: ASU upsets Arizona 69-66 after two overtimes

Rebecca Marie Sasnett/ The Daily Wildcat

Junior guard Nick Johnson jumps to block ASU senior guard Jermaine Marshall’s shot during the first half of UA vs ASU basketball game at Wells Fargo Arena on Friday. UA leads 26-21 against ASU.

TEMPE, Ariz. — ASU upset No. 2 Arizona 69-66 double overtime in a game marred by ugly shooting and poor fan behavior.

In the second half an ASU fan threw a sign at the Wildcats during a time out and then the student section stormed the court early, but no technical foul was called.

Arizona (23-2, 10-2 Pac-12) blew chances to win at the end of regulation, in the first overtime and then the second. There were nine ties and 16 lead changes.

The Wildcats shot 35.9 percent from the field, while ASU (19-6, 8-4) shot 40 percent. The UA outrebounded ASU 54 to 35. The Wildcats were 16-for-30 from the free throw line.

ASU senior guard Jermaine Marshall, who didn’t play in the Tucson game, led the way for the Sun Devils with a game high 29 points, including back to back three pointers in the last overtime.

UA junior guard T.J. McConnell had 17 points, two assists and six turnovers.

Junior guard Nick Johnson, who is from the Valley of the Sun, had 14 points, but only five in the last three periods and had five rebounds.

Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski had 13 points and 13 rebounds and freshman forward Aaron Gordon had 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Arizona is 2-2 since sophomore forward Brandon Ashley was lost for the season.

—Follow James Kelley @Jameskelley520