Tarczewski announces return, Arizona adds graduate transfer

Rebecca Noble

Arizona center Kaleb Tarczewski (35) makes a dunk during Arizona’s 73-58 win against Ohio State in the second round of the NCAA tournament in the Moda Center in Portland, Ore. on Saturday afternoon.

After losing four starters—three to the NBA Draft—Arizona men’s basketball returned one starter and a transfer on Friday.

A day after forward Stanley Johnson declared for the draft, center Kaleb Tarczewski told ESPN that he was returning to school for his senior year. Then Arizona basketball tweeted “SEE YOU IN 2015-16” with a photo of Tarczewski.

“When you take your pride out of it and look at what’s best for me, it wasn’t hard at all,” Tarczewski said to ESPN. “I have an opportunity to be the winningest player here, get my degree and get another year or growth and development. It’s a no-brainer.”

The three-year starter averaged 9.3 points and 5.2 rebounds per game and according to ESPN is on track to become the first Arizona men’s basketball to graduate from Eller College of Management.

Tarczewski has won 94 games, made it to three Sweet 16s and two Elite Eights. He is 18 wins away from becoming the winningest player in school history.

Then in the afternoon, 6-9 forward Mark Tollefsen chose Arizona over California, Washington and San Diego State. The former San Francisco star is expected to graduate and if he does, he can play next season.

Tollefsen is 31st all-time on the Don’s all-time scoring list and averaged 14 points.

The San Francisco native joins a crowded front court that features the seven-foot Tarczewski, 7-0 Dusan Ristic, 6-10 incoming freshman Chance Comanche, 6-8 incoming freshman Ray Smith and 6-9 transfer Ryan Anderson.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.