Take a hike: Five trails you need to check out

Hayden+Jorde%2FArizona+Daily+Wildcat++++++++%0A%0AAspen+Draw+Trail+is+a+lush+and+green+world+away+from+the+desert+floor+below.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hayden Jorde/Arizona Daily Wildcat Aspen Draw Trail is a lush and green world away from the desert floor below.

Before this week you probably thought keg stands only existed in movies, that the guy in the dorm next to you couldn’t possibly blast Wiz Khalifa every night, and that the phrase “sun’s out, guns out” was not a real way of life. You were wrong. Welcome to the U of A. Should you feel you are losing your sanity and need to get away from it all, here are five great hikes to help you do just that.

Romero Pools

Nut up and plunge 30 feet down into the tiny pool of murky water below! Not so adventurous? Don’t worry, Romero Pools still has lots to offer. As part of Catalina State Park, Romero Pools is an enjoyable hike through some classic Arizona desert, ending at the pools themselves. If you aren’t going for the scenery, you should go for the other ”scenery.” Romero Pools is a fantastic place to get some sun and drink a “few” beers. However, the pools won’t be full all year, so get up there while you can.

Aspen Draw Trail

This time of the year the heat is killer, so what better time to hightail it up to the top of Mt. Lemmon? Aspen Draw Trail is a 2.4-mile hike that begins in the ski town of Summer Haven and finishes with picturesque views at the top of Mt. Lemmon. In shocking contrast to the desert just 45 minutes away, Aspen Draw Trail winds its way through scenic pine forest. Beat the heat, and grab some tasty fudge up in Summer Haven while you’re at it.

Seven Falls

If you aren’t afraid to wake up early to get some good hiking in, Seven Falls is the hike for you. Seven Falls begins at the base of Sabino Canyon and meanders four miles back from the parking lot into some very lush desert foliage. The best time to make this hike is in early spring, when the falls are running from snowmelt and it isn’t unbearably hot outside. Should you decide to hike it at this time of year, leave early in the morning and take lots of water.

Mt. Lemmon/Lemmon Rock Loop

Another amazing high elevation hike, Lemmon Rock Loop is an 8.6-mile round-trip trail. Make sure to take the meadow loop detour, which has some great spots to go guerilla camping with your buddies. A little further down the Lemmon Trail portion of the hike and to the south of the trail, there are some really stunning rock formations that are great for climbing. The downside to this hike is that it is largely downhill — until you regain the 2,000 feet of elevation you lost during the rest of the hike in the last two miles of the trek.

Starr Pass trails

So hiking isn’t really your thing and you are crunched for time. Try the trails near Starr Pass Resort. The Starr Pass trails are for that group of people who like the idea of hiking much more than the reality. These trails are really more like nature walks than actual hikes, but they can be a great way to clear your head after your first week in college. Sure, your mom isn’t here to do your laundry anymore, and you can’t actually fit enough food to feed a human inside of that mini-fridge of yours, but you can take comfort in the fact that there is a good chance that kid who keeps bumping weed rap won’t be back next semester. When the bro tanks, high heels, and snapbacks become too much for you to handle, take a hike.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Hayden Jorde @Spicy_Reptiles.