The Drowning Men perform at Club Congress, release new album

Nato Bardeen, lead singer of The Drowning Men, performs at Club Congress on Tuesday night. Bardeen also plays the theremin, a unique electronic instrument.
    Alyssa Reilly

Drowning is deadly, which makes this five-man band dangerous.

The Drowning Men performed at Club Congress on Tuesday night, and when the group hit the stage, everyone cheered.

The eerie sounds of a theremin — which lead singer Nato Bardeen explains as “a weird little instrument that picks up like radio frequencies” — caught the audience’s attention. Bardeen added that sometimes, he just explains the theremin as “magic.”

Perhaps it’s the Drowning Men’s unusual beats, or maybe the lyrics of the band’s most popular song, “Rita” (about a runaway dog) that intrigues listeners.

After a year’s worth of creativity and hard work, the group from Oceanside, Calif., will release their new album, All of the Unknown, on July 17 under Flogging Molly’s label, Borstal Beat Records.

Bardeen said the indie rockers plan to spend their summer spreading the word about their newest music, touring and hanging out by the water.

In honor of the band’s new album and the summer season, I asked Bardeen about the do’s and don’ts about the pool and beach:

Sunscreen: “Always. You don’t want to wither away!”

Bringing along a furry pet that likes to splash: “See, I love animals and big furry pets, but I’m always worried they are going to annoy somebody. So I wouldn’t do it at a pool, but at a beach, maybe.”

Knocking back a beer: “Yes! It just calls for it. The sun is on your face. You should have a beer in your hand too.”

Dudes sporting banana hammocks: “It doesn’t look good. Maybe in Europe, but around here don’t do it. Unless you’re European and come over here, that’s your custom. But if you’re from here, you shouldn’t wear Speedos. No one wants to see that.”

Drowning: “Don’t drown!”

To check out more about the band, visit its website at www.thedrowningmen.com.